Admin Login

Rangers defeat “Boro” in Northern U21A Hurling Champ. Semi Final

By Mary Morgan Mon 28th Nov

This eagerly awaited J J Kavanagh & Sons Northern Under 21 Roinn A Hurling Championship game at windswept  Castlecomer on Saturday lived up to all expectations. A large sized crowd were served up fare that contained all that is good in hurling, sweet striking, great commitment on both sides and brilliant score taking, particularly by Rangers as the recovered after falling behind to a rather soft goal midway through the second half to come out on top by a two point margin.

 Rangers won the toss and elected to play against the breeze. Cathal Kenny took control of this game right from the off and his display and score taking was as good as anything seen in the County this year. He helped himself to seven points in all in this half from all angles and distances. Behind him the half back line of Doyle brothers Richie and Ciaran and Tom Brennan cut off supply to the dangerous Boro full forward line. At the other end Dan Kenny was having an outstanding game at full back.

Daragh Buggy, Ollie Walsh, Eoin Gough and Cillian Buckley had points to keep them in touch. Rangers were dealt a severe blow on 25 minutes when Ciaran Doyle pulled a hamstring and had to leave the fray. While they were getting reorganised Cillian Buckley collected a line ball on the 21 and sent a rasping shot to the net to level the game. Kenny and Buggy exchanged points before Ritchie Doyle sent Rangers in ahead at the break with a point, having been set up by Kenny. Rangers other point came from a line ball from Jason Holden. Half time Rangers 0 – 9 to 1 – 5 ahead.

Two players were booked early in the new half as the intensity continued. A strange thing about this game was that both sides appeared to play better when playing against the elements. The City side upped their game a few notches and points from Cillian Buckley and Kevin Nolan put them ahead for the first time in the game. They stretched their lead on 13 minutes when a speculative shot from Ollie Walsh was allowed into the net by Rangers goalie. That was to be their last score in this game.

Rangers, seeing that the game was slipping from them, stormed back into it. Both sides missed a few chances at this point. Points from Cathal Kenny and Cathal English narrowed the gap. Ritchie Doyle was playing superb hurling at this time and his placing of the ball was bringing the forwards more into play. Martin Bambrick struck a sweet point from one such pass before Jason Holden levelled the game on 26 minutes after a great pass from Michael Lonergan. Martin Bambrick scored a great point to put Rangers ahead following a pin point pass from Doyle. On the stroke of full time Kenny finished off a glorious day for him with a wonderful point as Rangers held on for a deserved victory.


For Rangers in addition to the four mentioned Martin Bambrick, Kevin Brennan, Cathal English and Edward Prendergast were prominent.

For the Boro Kenny got great assistance from Garry Gaule, Michael Hayes, David Glynn, Cillian Buckley, and Daragh Buggy.

Barrow Rangers: Damien Barcoe, John Brennan, Kevin Brennan, Sean McDonald, Ciarán Doyle, Richie Doyle (0- 1), Tom Brennan, Cathal Kenny (0 – 9), Martin Bambrick (0 – 2), Michael Whitely, Thomas Whitely, Cathal English (0 – 1), Jason Holden (0 – 2), Thomas Brennan, Declan Thompson.

Subs: Edward Prendergast, Michael Lonergan

Dicksboro: Philip Byrne, Garry Gaule, Dan Kenny, Conor Maharaj, Michael Hayes, David Glynn, Rory Glynn, Kevin Nolan (0 – 1), Enda Malone, Eoin Gough (0 – 1), Ollie Walsh

(1 – 1), Cillian Buckley (1 – 2), Jamie Lynch, Oisin Walsh, Darragh Buggy (0 -2).

Subs: Jesse Waters, Brian Dollard, Evan Guilfoyle.

Referee: Eamon Mansfield


By Mary Morgan Mon 28th Nov

Related News

View All

Main Partners