The GAA have invested considerably in the development of this GAA Sport and there is no doubt that the World Championships will see record attendances over the course of the 11 day event (Thursday 11th to Sunday 21st October).
All action will get underway from 10am on Thursday 11th and this day will see 30 schools from around Ireland participate also in a Mini Olympic style event. The students will also get to meet the stars of Ireland, USA and many other countries who will participate in coaching and mini games.
The highlight of the opening day of the event will get underway at 5.15pm in a ‘must see’ Ireland v USA Showdown Cup tie. This will see the top 8 US and Ireland stars go head to head in a ‘Ryder Cup’ style event and there is no doubt this will provide an awesome atmosphere in the much vaunted elevated Glass Showcourt in front of 3,000 spectators.
Former world champion and USA top pro, Naty Alvarado is amongst some of the greatest talent to have played the game and is relishing the Irish world challenge. “This is an impressive feat placing this year’s Worlds under one roof. This will be a cutting edge example of the love and respect Ireland has for all forms of Handball. I cannot wait to see the Citywest venue and participate in what should be the best Worlds to date.”
Most of the country teams have already arrived in Ireland and all are in awe of the amazing arena, which has been fully built in Ireland by a large team and will be utilised in centres throughout Ireland post event.
Tickets for the World Championships are available each day of the event at excellent rates, just €10 for adults, €5 for juveniles and children under age 5 are free. For the major final days (from Tuesday 16t October) the ticket prices will be €20 for adults, €5 for juveniles and children under age 5 are free. The excellent value packages can be pre-booked online, check www.worldhandball2012.com for details.
5.15pm: Match 1: Sean Lenning vs Paul Brady
5.50pm: Match 2: Luis Moreno/Andy Nett vs Robbie McCarthy & Brian Carroll
6.25pm: Match 3: David Fink vs Michael Gregan
7.00pm: Match 4: Naty Alvarado/Luis Cordova vs Ducksy Walsh & Tom Sheridan
– a record 2,085 players will compete in the World Handball Championships
– a record 30 countries will compete in the World Handball Championships
– 5,000 spectators per day will view the event
– a total of 3,094 matches will be played in the 11 day World Handball Championships
– for the first time in history, GAA Handball have built a purpose built 21 court arena to host the event
– 50,000 screw nails were used in the construction
– over €1 million has been invested in the hosting of the event and the building of the entire arena
– all work has been done in Ireland and all areas and parts in the construction is Irish
– Fáilte Ireland has sponsored €100,000 for the event, which is set to generate over €5m for the local economy.