Admin Login

Bord na nÓg – Week 10

By Mary Morgan Sat 4th Sep

Bord na nÓg – Week 10
Bord na nÓg – Week 10

Click below for a full report on Bord na nÓg activity by board PRO Pado Flynn for the last week.

Minor A league Final

Dicksboro 1-19 2-11 Naas

Dicksboro & Naas clashed in UPMC Nowlan Park in a highly entertaining Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor League final that ebbed and flowed before the Palmerstown outfit duly took the honours where a goal and a point from Kilkenny Minor captain Harry Shine proved to be the game changer after he was relocated to his natural home of the full forward line.

Shine got the team clad in maroon & white off to a perfect start when he fired over a free from close in. Alan Tobin instantly responded with a point of his own to level but the dynamic midfielder had the Kildare outfit in front when he landed a monster of a point from just on the half way line. Matthew Kelleher sent the white flag waving with a point of his own after some neat play by captain Cillian Hackett.

Fionn Maher & Kelleher swapped points as the hectic nature of the game continued. Hackett and Shine added further points to see the City side up 0-6 to 0-3 at the end of the first water break.

In a blink of an eye the Naas men had pulled level with Killian Harrington, Maher and Sean Murphy all splitting the posts before Shine & Tobin converted placed balls in quick succession. A long range point from the rampaging half back Sean Keenan was soon followed by a Shine free. Maher briefly lifted the siege that was starting to develop on the Naas goal with a point as the ‘Boro men threatened to strangle the oxygen out of the Kildare challenge. Conor Kavanagh had the final say of the half pointing after fine work from Johnny Keane to leave Dicksboro 0-10 to 0-8 ahead.

McGarry pointed before Shine helped himself to a hat-trick of points, Maher briefly responded and Shine added a further two points to his tally. The waterbreak came at the right time for Naas and a Charlie Carroll goal brought them right back into things. Shine took the gloss of the big score with a quick point but the dander was up on the challengers with Maher & Cian Boran all pointing.
Shine was looking menacing at the edge of the square and he duly goaled but before the celebrations had died down Seamus Kelleher had sent the green flag waving down the other end of the field.

The next score was going to be vital, Matthew Kelleher got a fine point for the Boro men before Shine finished off the scoring. In what was a well contested game the home side were on balance the better value for the win and will go into their Championship clash with Young Irelands as hot favourites to retain their title against last years beaten finalists.

Dicksboro: Michael Clarke, Michael Stynes, Mick Carroll, Nathan Pollard, Sean Keenan, Johnny Keane, Tom McPhillips, Fionn McGarry, Cillian Hackett (C), Conor Kavanagh, Harry Shine, Matthew Kelleher, Billy Fitzpatrick, Declan O’Farrell, Peter Conroy. Subs: Evan Murphy, Kyle Maher.

Naas: Ben Loughlin, Niall Grainger, Liam O’Reilly, Mac Dara Moore, Dylan Gregory, Cian Boran, Bill Hennessy, Alan Tobin, Ryan Sinkey, Fionn Maher, Seamus Kelleher, Sean Murphy, Tiarnan O’Rourke, Killian Harrington, Rian Redfern. Subs: Shane Knott, Conor Doyle, Fionn Curtis, Charlie Carroll, Evan O’Brian.

In the other minor league finals in the Roinn B Graigue Ballycallan simply overpowered St Martins at MW Hire Dunmore to cruise to a comfortable victory.



Piltown V Dunamaggin U15 Rionn B league Final 2021 Dunmore 18th Aug 2021

The 2021 league campaign started on the 16th June.  9 weeks later we arrive into Dunmore on a smashing Wednesday evening, Piltown, unbeaten throughout the league campaign, up against an equally impressive Dunamaggin. This was going to be a battle against two teams that earned their right to be on centre stage.

Dunamaggin opened the score with a pointed free. Following the puckout the ball broke out to Cathal O’Brien, named as a late replacement, he put the ball into his hand and rounded his man and popped the ball over the bar. A fantastic start for a young man making his U15 debut. Dunamaggin replied with a good point from a Cathal Buckley free.  The puckout was sent straight down the middle, Niall O’Brien, playing at centre forward tonight, plucked the ball from the air and sent a super ball over the bar for Piltown. Very quickly Sam Garbutt got onto a ball out on the right wing, turned inside and scored another lovely point for Piltown. Next up was a super point from DJ Knox, the ball broke from centre field, DJ took charge and popped the ball over the bar without hassle.  Things were not all plain sailing: Dunamaggin were physically very strong. There men up the centre were very impressive, Cathal Buckley at No 8 and Ross O Neill at 11 were particularly impressive. Piltown backs were challenged,At the 10 min mark the score was 0-5 to 0-3, Piltown up by 2 points. Next up came a well worked ball, delivered down the left wing from Evan Flynn and Cormac Cummins and it fell to Cathal O’Brien for Piltown, Cathal picked up the ball and this time he was not stopping until the green flag was raised. As he wound to bury the ball there was a half hook, but the ball deflected off the goalie and ended up in the bottom left. Piltown were up by 5 points. They closed out the next 5 mins with another pointed free from Niall O’Brien, a super point from Conor Long and a long range point from play from NiallO’Brien. 1st water break score was 1-8 to 0-4 to Piltown

From the 15th to 30th min Piltown lost their way a little, theyreturned 4 points from Niall O’Brien, 2 from play and 2 from frees, Dunamaggin on the other hand had a super 2nd quarter scoring 2-4. Their first goal came minutes after the water break and was one Piltown will be disappointed with. Piltownhad chances to clear our lines but failed to do so. This allowed John Hayes to latch onto a breaking ball and he smashed it to the net. Cathal Buckley then moved into the full forward position and was on top form, he returned a smashing goal in the 25th min. Half time score was 1-13 to 2-8. Piltown were still 2 points up.

The half time break allowed teams to settle and take stock, both team were well in this game. The 3rd quarter was a serious battle in all corners of the field. The scoreboard told the story: For the first 15 mins of the second half Piltown scored 3 points from frees, and Dunamaggin scored 3 points from frees. One of Piltown points was a monster from Niall, scored from 80 yards, ball on the sideline, every score was vital.

15 mins to go: Piltown 1-16 Dunamaggin 2-11 – game on.  Dunamaggin made some positional moves coming up the final straight, Cathal Buckley pulled out from No 14 to No 11, Ross O’Neill moved to top of the right for moments, these boys along with Ciaran Hickey, Noah Cahill, Tim Dohertyand Sean Rossiter were lethal.  Piltown defence were equal to every attack on goal. Shane Cronin made a block that JJ Delaney would be proud of any day. Andrew Phelan caught balls that Jackie Tyrell would be proud to catch.  Henry Culleton put body and soul on the line for the entire night. This was going to be some finish.

The final 15 mins was from top drawer. Cathal O Brien got the first point after the break with a nice point, that was followed by Cathal Buckley point. Next was a point from Niall O’Brien followed by a quick return point from Cathal Buckley. Momentum changed, Dunamaggin scored the next 2 points, a free from Ross and another point from Cathal Buckley. 28 mins gone, 2nd half- level game.  Tide turned again; Niall scored 2 points from frees for Piltown. Both teams traded points again:- Brian Hickey, and one from Niall from play. Piltown up by 1 point with 31 mins played.  A stoppage in play due to an injury to Liam Downey, Piltownand Tim Doherty, Dunamaggin, was going to add a few mins extra time. Dunamaggin went to break Piltown hearts with a well taken goal from Ross O’Neill. 2 points down, well into injury time. Piltown rolled one last dice, Conor Long waspulled out into the half forward line, Cathal O’Brien was also pulled out, Piltown needed to get back before the game was gone. On the immediate puckout Conor Long won a free on the 45 yard line. Niall stood over the ball, a point was no good now!! He floated the ball across the square, all hurls went flying in the air, and DJ Knox got a beautiful touch to land the ball in the top right corner. Some goal.

The resulting puckout landed straight down on the Piltown 21 and Dunamaggin won a 50/50 free to draw the game. Dunamaggin 3-18 Piltown 2-21.  “Last puckout” the ref said – was there going to be a winner. Seanie Tennyson launched one final missile up the field for Piltown, the ball broke out to the left wing, Cathal O’Brien was there. Ball in hand off he went.The Dunamaggin full back tracked Cathal all the way, but 30 yards from goal, near the side line, Cathal hit the deck. Free for Piltown – 37 mins gone. The was time for calm – this to win – “a tricky free”. Niall O’Brien took position, had a chat with the ref, “when the ball goes out of play the game will be over, take your time”, he was told.  Niall stood over the ball, bend, lift and strike – the ball went over the black spot. On the puck out the ref blew the final whistle. Piltown were winners of the 2021 Roinn B All County league. Some performance from all the team. Andrew Phelan received the winning trophy on behalf of the team.  Blood sweat and tears from man, woman and child – what a game.

Sean Tennyson was steady in the goal all night – his puckouts launched Piltown into attack all night. Liam Downey, Shane Cronin and Even Flynn had tough challenges, that stood tall and were super on the night. Henri Culleton, Andrew Phelanand Cormac Cummins were massive all night. Joe Cooney and Ben O Callaghan were at 8 and 9. These men were everywhere. Super performances. In attached Piltown had DJ Knox at 10, who returned 1 point from play, plus that super goal touch to put us back in the game,  Niall O’Brien at 11, who returned a whooping 16 points on the night, 5 from play and 11 placed balls and Harry Flynn at 12 who ran and ran all night. 3 top class men. Inside attack was  Sam Garbutt, smashing point from play in the first half, Conor Long, 1 point from play and a super effort when called to war in the half forward line in the final quarter, and at No 15 was Cathal O’ Brien who returned with a super tally of 1-2, making his U15 debut.  On the bench we have always ready and able solders, Darragh Frisby, Sean Malone, John Knox, Ryan Cleary, Kieran Doyle and John Cooney

Injured was Eoin Hogan and Bobby Norris. Well done Piltown

Dunamaggin Lineout

1 Daniel Hayes
2 David Moore
3 Eoin Shiel
4 Pierce Costello
5 Conor Lawton
6 Sean Lawton
7 Thomas Deegan
8 Cathal Buckley
9 Jamie Tallon
10 Sean Rossiter
11 Ross O’Neill
12 Noah Cahill
13 John Hayes
14 Ciaran Hickey
15 Tim Doherty


Conor Aylward, Jake Butler, Shay Delaney, Hugh Healy, Nicky Healy, Cormac Holden,  Anthony Kenneally, Darragh Lyons, Ian McDonald, Scott McDonald, Aaron McCormack, James Moore, Edward Moylan, Jake O’Neill, Sean Sheridan, Cathal Rossiter, Sean Sheridan and Stephen Walsh.


U-13 League Final

On a sunny evening in Carrigeen, local rivals Kilmacow took on Mullinavat in the Duggan U13C Hurling League Final. The game started off at a frantic pace with great work-rate by both sides. Kilmacow had 2 wides in the first 5 minutes and Mullinavat then opened the scoring with free from Ben Cantwell. They followed this up with a point from play from Jack Power 2 minutes later after another great exhibition from both sides of hooking and blocking. Jack Doyle won a free from the resulting puck out which Rian McDonald slotted over to open Kilmacow’s account. Both sides traded wides until Adam Fitzpatrick pointed for Mullinavat. This is when the game sprung into life again. Kilmacow then responded with a goal from the impressive Daire Casey Power who was causing a lot of problems with his strong running. Mullinavat went straight back up the field for Adam Fitzpatrick to raise the green flag. Kilmacow’s Daire Casey Power then responded with a point.

At the first Water Break Mullinavat led Kilmacow 1-3 to 1-2.
After the water break Mullinavat got the first 2 scores from Adam Fitzpartick (free) and Jack Power from play. After 23 minutes Mullinavat were leading 1-5 to 1-2. After this Kilmacow started to get on top and Jack Doyle won a free which Rian McDonald scored a goal from. Kilmacow then scored another 3 unanswered points from Rian McDonald (free), David Phelan (from play) and Daire Casey Power (from play) which left the score at half time Kilmacow 2-5, Mullinavat 1-5.
Mullinavat got the first score of the second half from Jack Power. Kilmacow’s Jack Doyle got a reply a minute later to keep 3 points between the sides with 5 mins of the second half gone. Both sides showed great character and attitude with their blocking and hooking with backs under serious pressure trying to clear a ball and the same for the forwards trying to score. Mullinavat got the next 2 scores from Jack Power (from play) and Adam Fitzpatrick (free). Kilmacow responded with a well taken goal from Joe Murphy. Mullinavat then had Kilmacow under serious pressure and a goal looked on the cards only for Patrick Quinlan in goal to deny them with a wonder save. We still don’t know how he managed to keep it out. Mullinavat then got the last score from a free from Adam Fitzpatrick before the second water break. This left Kilmacow leading by 3points (3-6 to 1-9).
For the last quarter and the light fading considerably, Mullinavat threw everything at Kilmacow and were unlucky not to get a point or two before Jack Doyle got a point for Kilmacow to put 4 points between the sides with 6 minutes left. Mullinavat’s Adam Fitzpatrick got a point from play and another from a free to bring them back within 2 points with 3 minutes remaining to set up an exciting finish. Kilmacow’s defence held firm though and held Mullinavat’s attacks at bay. Gavin Quilty blew the final whistle with Kilmacow coming out on top in a hard-fought game by 2 points. Final Score Kilmacow 3-7, Mullinavat 1-11.
Kilmacow Team: Patrick Quinlan, Seán McDonald, Rory Foot, Jack Hearne, Danny Murray, Rían McDonald, Danny O’Brien Walsh, Jamie Cass, Zak Fenton, David Phelan, Daire Casey-Power, Joe Murphy, Liam Egan, Jack Doyle, Eoin Sutton, Joe Doyle, Flinn Gillespie.

Mullinavat Team: Eoin Aylward, Olly Madigan, Leo Aylward, Shay Maher, Cathal Aylward, Stephen O’Shea, Seamus Rohan, Patrick Aylward, Ben Cantwell, Jack Power, Cian Kelly, Edward Bolger, Conor Conway, Adam Fitzpatrick, Donnacha Corcoran, Liam Cameron, Jim Cantwell, Odhran Woods, Conor Dunphy, Rory Delahunty.

Football Feile
(pictures available from Willie Dempsey)
In the Roinn A Final James Stephens completed the double after a tough tight game with Dicksboro 1-8 to 2-4. In Roinn B Thomastown proved to be strong for all the other sides only conceding 0-4 in the whole competition as they defeated St Martins in the final after wins over Mullinavat & Danesfort whilst Roinn C saw Graignamangh defeat Kilmacow in a lively final 4-2 to 2-3.
By Mary Morgan Sat 4th Sep

Related News

View All

Main Partners