Admin Login

Bord na nÓg – Week 11

By Mary Morgan Sat 11th Sep

Bord na nÓg – Week 11
Bord na nÓg – Week 11


(Note as this was preliminary week fewer games were played)

Dicksboro U13s overcome Ballyhale Shamrocks’ game showing


Dicksboro 3-11   Ballyhale Shamrocks 3-6

Dicksboro’s U13 A panel advanced to the County semi finals after an enterprising and deserved win over Ballyhale Shamrocks on a cool and breezy evening at St James’ Park.

This meeting, never less than competitive, produced a commendable standard for the grade. Both sides lined out plenty of promising hurlers. Mapping these clubs’ encounters over the next four years should become a nice subplot.

Although the hour began with highly committed exchanges, its first score did not arrive until the 9thminute, when the Shamrocks’ Michael Barron slotted a free won by Conor Holohan. Three minutes later, the lively Oisín Henderson equalized with his own conversion.

Momentum suffered from wides at both ends. Into the bargain, the country club saw two good goal chances snuffed out by alert custodian Rian Dowling.

Following the water break, Joe Dowling shot a lovely point, establishing a ’Boro lead. Barron then turned equalizer, via a fine effort from play. Efforts by Dan Carroll and Samuel John O’Shea (free) were the prelude to an excellent Henderson goal, as the city club took control. Their lead on 22 minutes stretched to five points, 1-4 to 0-2.

Next minute, Cathal Coogan found a marvellous reply, arrowing over a long range free. Henderson and O’Shea augmented from play, before Jake Mullen countered with another terrific free from distance, closing the half’s scoring.

Halftime: 1-6 to 0-4.

Ballyhale Shamrocks opted for a rejig, with the same Mullen now at full forward. Himself and doughty full back Seán Kavanagh proceeded to a tremendous battle.

Samuel John O’Shea reopened scoring with a free, before Mullen goaled in the 33rd minute. Game right back on, at 1-7 to 1-4.

The new full forward narrowed the gap with a free conjured by Con O’Neill. Two further expert conversions by O’Shea established breathing space, before Mullen pointed from an acute angle for 1-9 to 1-6.

On 45 minutes, as the second water break loomed, Dicksboro put together a sparkling attack. Tiernan O’Brien made the initial incision down the right, crossing to where Eoin Moore lurked. He ensured the flag’s colour was green.

Ballyhale Shamrocks, down six points at 2-9 to 1-6, did not panic. Mullen seized and converted a penalty in the 48th minute. Game back on, again.

But the ’Boro boys, in their turn, waved away panic. This time, two O’Shea frees were the prelude to a second Eoin Moore goal on 58 minutes. At 3-11 to 2-6, the outcome flew clear.

Game to the last, Mullen got fouled for a 20 metre free in added time, netting a low drive. This admirable effort shaved the margin but left the outcome untouched.

Fulltime: 3-11 to 3-6.


BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS Theo Drennan, Brían Ryan, Killian Ryan, Seán O’Mahony, Cathal Coogan 0-1 (f), Jake Mullen 3-3 (1-2f, 1-0 pen), David Kolodziezcaptain, Luke Cummins, Tommy Walsh, Michael Barron0-2 (1f), Rory McMahon, Con O’Neill, Donnchadh Grant, James Ryan, Conor Holohan.

Subs: Jim Connolly for Conor Holohan (ht), Max Corbett, Eric Murphy, Jamie Murphy, Henry Shefflin; Reece Drennan (away), Jayden Fitzpatrick (away), Tiernan Shefflin (inj) Tom Coogan ( inj)

DICKSBORO Rian Dowling, Jack Treacy, Seán Kavanagh, Conor Tynan, Noah Gibbons, Josh Dowling, Jack Delaney, Dan Carroll captain 0-1, Samuel John O’Shea 0-7 (6f), Luke Brown, Oisín Henderson 1-2 (0-1f), Joe Dowling 0-1, James Kavanagh, Eoin Moore 2-0, Tiernan O’Brien.

Subs: Robert Lacey for Tiernan O’Brien (52m).

Referee: Éamonn Larkin (James Stephens).



O’Loughlin Gaels 1-15

Young Irelands 2-10
This hotly anticipated encounter of the Championship, fixed for St John’s Park at 6pm on Wednesday, meant players were frantically jumping from school buses into cars, parents were clocking off work early and dinner was delayed to get to the pitch in time.
The opening quarter saw Greg Kelly score three points, all from frees before Gowran’s Jim Conlon put a point over before the first water break. The players settled after re-hydrating and Young Irelands added three points from frees, while Mikey Keating and Jake Byrne added a point each from play. However, despite some stalwart defending from David Langton, Richard Nolan and Jake Kelly, O’Loughlins broke through the ranks and Greg Kelly found the back of the net with their only goal of the game. Half Time score; O’Loughlins 1-5, Young Irelands 0-6.
The second half saw Greg Kelly add four consecutive points before Gowran’s Cian Phelan found the ball and raced up the wing and scored a screamer of a goal. A point from play from Thomas Langton and two points from frees for Jim Conlon kept Young Irelands fighting and in contention. However O’Loughlins’ pushed ahead and points from Greg Kelly, Ruairc Sweeney and Joe Bolger gave them a three point lead with minutes to go. Then, like Lazarus, Young Irelands’ rose from their slumber, and Thomas Langton found the back of the net in the 58th minute! Draw Game! Extra Time seemed nigh! Joe Bolger put a point over from a placed ball followed by another point from the ever dominant Greg Kelly dashing Gowran’s hopes, and gave the city side a two point win.

O’Loughlin Gaels now meet Carrickshock.


James Stephen B 1-10 Graignamanagh 10-11 

Graignamangh proved too strong for James Stephens B team in this U17 Roinn C Championship first round match on Sunday evening. Having a wide range of scorers gave Graig a platform to take control of the match and once their defence got on top there was little scope for a brave and determined James Stephens B team to get back into the game.

Both teams contributed a number of very well taken scores throughout the game, but ultimately it was Graig’s ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over that led to a comfortable victory for the boys in green and white.

By Mary Morgan Sat 11th Sep

Related News

View All

Main Partners