Admin Login

2021 Permanent TSB U-19 Finals

By John Power Fri 26th Nov

2021 Permanent TSB U-19 Finals
2021 Permanent TSB U-19 Finals

Click here for pictures courtesy of Willie Dempsey and Mary Morgan

Permanent TSB U-19 Hurling Championship Roinn A County Final

Dicksboro 3-17  Thomastown 0-15

(match report – Mary Morgan, Junior Board)

While Dicksboro may have laid down a marker early on in this exciting County Final at UPMC Nowlan Park on the 21st November 2021, it was only after the second water break that they pulled away from their Thomastown opponents to claim the Permanent TSB U-19 Roinn A title.  It was a lovely sunny November afternoon but conditions were wet and heavy underfoot after a frosty night.

Thomastown were first to raise the white flag in this double header at UPMC Nowlan Park with a fine point from Peter McDonald just forty seconds after throw-in.  A Harry Shine attempt in the second minute came off the posts and was well-cleared by the Thomastown goalie, Luke McNena.  However, moments later Dicksboro’s James Carroll pounced on a loose ball and found Liam Moore making a run up the middle – Liam cut through the Thomastown defence and made no mistake in finding the back of the net in the third minute.  The marker was laid down!

Thomastown’s Peter McDonald was a workhorse throughout the sixty minutes and responded to the Dicksboro goal with two points, one from a placed ball.  Peter scored all but one of Thomastown’s nine points in the first half.  Harry Shine put his name on the scoreboard with his first of many scores of the afternoon when he pointed from a placed ball in the sixth minute.  James Carroll, working tirelessly at midfield, put over a super point from close to the sideline shortly after.  The city side kept the pressure on with Cillian Hackett, Liam Moore and Harry Shine registering points and a goal attempt by Harry Shine just before the water break might have put the Boro men up two goals at the water break but a scramble on the goal line eventually resulted in the ball being cleared away by Luke McNena.  At the first waterbreak, it was Dicksboro 1-5 to Thomastown’s 0-5.

Thomastown were quick out of the blocks after the water break and a well-worked passage of play up the field, involving Peter McDonald, Luke Connellan, Zach Bay Hammond and Conor Holden, threatened the Dicksboro defence but they held strong and denied Thomastown a goal.  It was the first of many goal attempts by the men in blue and white and credit goes to Brian Minogue for his effort on the day.  Not long after, Liam Treacy, took aim at the Boro goal and again, Brian, defended superbly.  Luke McNena was also on form in the second quarter, denying Eoin Dalton and Aran Murphy goal-scoring opportunities.  The first half closed out with points from Dicksboro’s Nick Doheny and Thomastown’s Luke Connellan while Peter McDonald and Harry Shine scored two apiece from placed balls.  Nothing separated the sides and at half time the score was Dicksboro 1-11 Thomastown 0-9.

Harry Shine was instrumental in setting up a number of the Boro scores in the second half.  He was liable to pop up anywhere on the field, laying off the ball to his teammates who were in better scoring positions or back defending.  A layoff to Eoin Dalton early in the second half put their side three points up.  Liam Moore again showed his might with a rasper of a strike which everyone thought would end up in the back of the net but the rattle of the crossbar echoed around the stadium, to the relief if the Thomastown supporters.  Thomastown wasted no time going on the attack and were awarded a free for their hard work.  Peter McDonald stood up to take the free but struck it short to Luke Connellan who was in a better position and Luke pointed with ease.  Harry Shine, with pin-point accuracy set up Aran Murphy Dalton and substitute Sean Maher with some fine points.  A pointed free from Peter McDonald meant only the early Dicksboro goal separated the sides going into the second water break.  Dicksboro 1-11 Thomastown 0-11.

Dicksboro came out after the second water break and dominated all over the pitch, blitzing the Thomatown defence and outscoring them 2-6 to 0-4 in the final 15 minutes.  Points from Sean Maher and Harry Shine (free) helped extend their lead out to five points before Zach Bay Hammond, escaping his marker, put over a lovely point.  Form this point on, Dicksboro took a firm hold on the game and Liam Moore added to his tally with a lovely point in the 50th minute and was instrumental in captain Aran Murphy’s goal a minute later.  A long ball into Cillian Hackett in the corner was passed to Liam.  Liam, spotting the unmarked Aran off his right shoulder, simply and accurately flicked the ball on with his hurl and Aran’s strike was unstoppable.  Thomastown went on the attack in the dying minutes and were awarded a free.  There was no option but to go for goal and the Peter McDonald strike looked like it was heading from the back of the net but Brian Minogue just got the tip of his hurl to it and sent it over the bar for a point instead.  An injury time goal from Harry Shine sealed the win for the city men.  FT Dicksboro 3-17 Thomastown 0-15

Dicksboro: Brian Manogue, Luca Lolo, Niall Rowe, Stevie Dermody, Charlie Nolan, Timmy Clifford, Tom Carroll, James Carroll (0-2), Colm O’Hara, Aran Murphy (capt) (1-1), Liam Moore (1-2), Eoin Dalton (0-1), Harry Shine (1-6, 0-5f, 0-1 65), Nick Doheny (0-1), Cillian Hackett (0-1).

Subs:  Sean Maher (0-2), Cormac Kennedy, Mikey Raggett (0-1), Oisín Timmons.

Thomastown:  Luke McNena, Oisín O’Reilly, Cian Moore, Ben Tennyson, Pauric Kirwan, Peter Connellan, Naoise Dempsey, Rory Connellan, Peter McDonald (capt) (0-12, 0-7f), Liam Treacy, Luke Connellan (0-2), Paddy Collins, Conor Holden, Zach Bay Hammond (0-1), Sean O’Keeffe.

Subs:  Alex Cass, Conor O’Neill.

Referee:  Paul Cahill (Dunnamaggin)


Permanent TSB U-19 Hurling Championship Roinn A Shield Final

Galmoy/Windgap 2-21  Rower Inistioge 4-12

(match report – Jerry Drennan, Galmoy)

Just three points separated the sides at the end of this enthralling Permanent TSB U-19 Roinn A Shield Final in sunny Gowran on Sunday afternoon.  Six times, the sides were level throughout this encounter while no more than two points separated them at any of the intervals.

Galmoy/Windgap had a tonic start, when Matt Delaney delivered a good ball in to corner forward Blade O Gorman who turned his marker, sped to goal and despatched the sliotar to The Rower net after just 20 seconds.  Lively corner forward Tom O Callaghan responded with a point immediately, before Kilkenny County minor Eoghan Lyng won a ball in the right corner and slammed past James Purcell to put his side in front.  Midfielder, Eoin O’Brien added a Rower Inistioge point from 40 metres, as his side had now recovered from their sluggish start.  In the fourth minute, Billy Drennan took a pass from Matt Delaney to strike his first of thirteen points.  Eoin O’Brien from Galmoy/Windgap added a point from a very acute angle on the right hand side, before Billy Drennan and Eoghan Lyng exchanged frees to leave Rower Inistioge ahead 1-4 to 1-3 at the first water break.

Galmoy/Windgap midfielder Callum Lonergan had a wonderful game throughout and the tougher the going became, the more this athlete loved it.  In the 18th minute, he took a pass from Drennan to strike a point off his left.  Eoghan Lyng responded from a free before the winners struck three scores in succession.  Points from Billy Drennan and Blade O Gorman sandwiched a classy goal from Lonergan.  He won the sliotar from a melee 35 metres from goal, turned and set sail up the middle, before rifling a cracker to The Rower net.  These scores left Galmoy/Windgap four points ahead by the 20th minute, 2-6 to 1-5.  Eoghan Lyng then moved centre stage for the next ten minutes.  Like Lonergan,he exited from a ruck of players and struck to the winners’ net.  Three minutes later, he won a free out to the right of goal on the 20 metre line.  As he stood over the sliotar, all and sundry expected him to raise another white flag, but his low trajectory shot went all the way to the roof of the Galmoy/Windgap net.  He added a pointed free, which drew a similar response from Callum Lonergan to leave Rower Inistioge ahead 3-6 to 2-7 at half time.  They were full value for their lead with impressive performances from Tom Cullen, Jack Morrissey and Eoin O Brien, but one sensed a reply from the combined forces.

And so it proved, as Galmoy/Windgap came out with fire in their eyes.  Spurred on by the strong Sean Purcell, who was tremendous at centre back, Callum Lonergan and Billy Drennan, they took control for the opening stages of the new half.  In the first seven minutes, Drennan struck four points, two from frees ,and along with one from young Billy Power, they began to exert their dominance on proceedings.  Matt Delaney also worked very hard, although his shooting let him down on occasion.  Ciarán Keher Murtagh pulled one back for The Rower.  Their goalkeeper and captain Dan Mulholland then brought off a very good save from Mark McCoy which kept his side in the hunt.  In the 38th minute Ciarán Keher Murtagh set off on a penetrating run from the right hand side before off loading to Tom O Callaghan who buried the sliotar in the net to put The Rower one point to the good again ,4-7 to 2-12.

Billy Drennan was now winning a lot of ball and two quick points from him saw his side back in front again.  By the second waterbreak, Galmoy/Windgap lead 2-16 to 4-8.  The final quarter was a fitting conclusion to a pulsating tussle with both sides pulling out all the stops.  Billy Drennan and Eoghan Lyng exchanged frees once again, before Callum Lonergan soloed up the middle of The Rower defence to strike an impressive point.  Craig Bolger had just been introduced for the southerners and he split the posts in the 54th minute.  The next three points all came from the stick of Billy Drennan, two of them being frees from out on the right hand sideline. This left Galmoy/Windgap ahead 2-21 to 4-10 as the game entered added time.  Those final moments saw Rower Inistioge throw absolutely everything into attack.  They won two frees in quick succession, each forty metres from goal, which Eoghan Lyng pointed, but try as they might, their final attacks were thwarted by a resolute Galmoy/Windgap defence, where Padhraic Foley, Gearóid Phelan and David Sherman defended heroically.  FT Galmoy/Windgap 2-21 Rower Inistioge 4-12.

Bob Shortall from Kilkenny Junior Board presented the winning trophy to Galmoy/Windgap’s Padhraic Foley and Billy Drennan, to record a first ever Roinn A title at any level for two sides who have been amalgamated since 2006.

Galmoy/Windgap: James Purcell, Sean Barron, Pauric Foley, Jack O’Shea, Gearóid Phelan, Sean Purcell, David Sherman, Matt Delaney (0-1), Callum Lonergan (1-3), Billy Power (0-1), Billy Drennan (0-13,0-7 frees), Adam O’Shea, Eoin O’Brien (0-1), Mark McCoy, Blade O’Gorman (1-2).

Subs:James Darcy for Jack O Shea  50 mins, Daniel Hanrahan for Billy Power 51 mins.

Rower Inistioge: Dan Mulholland, Tiernan Morrissey, Tom Cullen ,Oisín Whelan, David Prendergast, Ruaidhri Delaney, Jack Morrissey, Eoin O’Brien (0-1), Michael Moffitt, Ciarán Keher Murtagh (0-1), Fiachra Farrell, Mark Flood, Eoghan Lyng (3-8, 1-8 frees), Darragh Bolger, Tom O Callaghan (1-1).

Subs: Conor Bolger for Michael Moffitt, Cathal Langton for Oisín Whelan and Craig Bolger (0-1) for Fiachra Farrell.

Referee : Colin Tobin (Young Irelands)


Permanent TSB U-19 Hurling Championship Roinn B County Final

Bennettsbridge0-13  Erin’s Own 3-8

(match report – Mary Morgan, Junior Board)

Bennettsbridge and Erin’s Own contested the Permanent TSB U-19 Roinn B County Final on Sunday the 21st November in the opening game of a double header at UPMC Nowlan Park.  Following a heavy frost overnight, the ground was heavy with the morning dew and, while it was windy, the swirling breeze didn’t give either side any advantage.  Bennettsbridge went on the attack in the opening minutes and a great save from Erin’s Owns Shane Holden meant they had to settle for a point on the rebound by full forward Ben King.  Less than a minute later, Bennettsbridge were again denied a goal and Timmy Kelly pointed to keep the scoreboard ticking over.  Erin’s Owns first point came from a Shane Coogan placed ball in the sixth minute.  Erin’s own were starting to find their rhythm and pointed twice in the space of thirty seconds, the scores coming from Shane Coogan and captain Ashley Kerr.  However, it was a low-scoring affair up to the first water break and Bennettsbridge closed out the first quarter with two points from placed ball by Ben King, giving them a 0-4 to 0-3 lead.

Bennettsbridge did most of the hurling in the second quarter and attacked with vigour at every opportunity.  However, two great saves from Shane Holden in the space of three minutes kept the Comer men in the game.  Another goal opportunity presented itself for the Bridge but they were unfortunate when the breaking ball was accidently kicked over the end line.  While they were denied goals, they did manage to score three points.  Timmy Kelly was instrumental in setting up two of those points for Jack Campion and Paddy Walsh and Ben King added another to his tally from a placed ball.  It looked like the Bridge would have a four point lead going into the break but a high ball sent in to the Bennettsbridge square by Shane Coogan on the stroke of half time was cleared only as far as full forward Jamie Maher, who made no mistake in finding the back of the net.  This was Erin’s Owns only score of the second quarter but it meant the Bridge only led by the slimmest of margins at the halfway mark, Bennettsbridge 0-7 to Erin’s Owns 1-3.

Erin’s Own opened the second half scoring with a pointed free from Shane Coogan.  Another Bennettsbridge attack, this time from centre back Daniel Murphy who ran straight up the middle, called upon Shane Holden to defend his goal yet again and defend it he did!  A great block by Shane resulted in a 65 being awarded but unfortunately, the Bridge couldn’t convert it.  The Bennettsbridge men never gave up and points from Jack Campion and Gearóid Kent (2 frees) saw them stretch out their lead by 3 points.  However in the 42nd minute, Tommy Coogan picked up a loose ball and handed it off to Lee Holden who had made a run up the middle.  Jack Forristal pulled off a great save but, as before, Jamie Maher was in the right place at the right time and he pounced on the rebound to score his second goal of the day.  Jamie closed out the third quarter with a lovely point and the Comer men now had a two point advantage going into the last quarter – Bennettsbridge 0-10  Erin’s Own 2-6.

By the 54th minute, Bennettsbridge had fought their way back into the game and the sides were now level.  It still looked like it could go either way but a point from Shane Coogan in the 58th minute encouraged the Comer side to dig deep and an Erin’s Own line ball in the 60th minute found the hand of Jamie Maher and Jamie scored his hat trick which secured the title for his team as the final whistle went just moments later.  Winter hurling is never easy and it was Erin’s Owns doggedness and sheer determination and great defending by Shane Holden that spurred them on and got them over the line.  Credit however goes to both goal keepers who pulled off a number of great saves between them but the Erin’s Own forwards were quicker to react, resulting in crucial scores.  Full time Bennettsbridge 0-13 Erin’s Own 3-8.

Bennettsbridge: Jack Forristal, Kyle Ryan, Joe Hughes, Matthew Treacy, James Hughes, Bill Hughes (0-1), Myles McGovern, Ivan Kelly, John Doyle, Gearóid Kent (0-3f), Jack Campion (0-2), Oisín Meegan, Timmy Kelly (0-1), Ben King (0-5, 0-4f), Paddy Walsh (0-1).

Subs: Conor Molloy.

Erin’s Own: Shane Holden, Owain Comerford, Kevin Holland, Darragh O’Rourke, Eoghan Moore, Dean Bray, James Kenny, Ciaran Meagher, John Kenny, Shane Coogan (0-6, 0-4f), Ashley Kerr (capt) (0-1), Tommy Coogan, Lee Holden, Jamie Maher (3-1), Michael Brennan.

Subs: Joey Ryan, Brian Holland, Kevin Smyth.

Referee: Gay Rafter (Threecastles)


Permanent TSB U-19 Hurling Championship Roinn C Shield Final

Conahy Shamrocks 2-15  Tullaroan 1-15

(match report – Nickey Brennan, Conahy Shamrocks)

Tullaroan led Conahy Shamrocks for much of this Permanent TSB U19C Shield Final in Páirc Lachtain, Freshford, on Saturday the 20th November last, but a strong closing six minutes saw Conahy gain the upper hand to record a good win.

Tullaroan had the better of the opening quarter getting the first score, a point, from Keelan Brennan.  By the fifth minute Conahy drew level through industrious midfielder Jack Murphy who was quickest to a breaking ball to score.  That point saw Conahy hit a good patch with further points from Brooklyn Synott and Robert Ring.  The play was towards the Conahy goal for the remainder of the quarter.  Points from Liam Walsh and a Gearoid Dunne free tied the game.  The first goal of the game arrived on fourteen minutes when hesitant Conahy defending allowed Gearoid Dunne to steer the ball over the line.  Keelan Brennan added another Tullaroan point moments later to see his side leading 1-4 to 0-3 at the first water-break.

Despite playing against the breeze in the opening half Conahy started the second quarter impressively with three points from Mark Gunner, two from frees, to leave the minimum between the teams.  Tullaroan played the better hurling in the closing stages of the first half.  They scored three unanswered points through Bill Walton (2) and Gearoid Dunne to stretch the lead to four points.  Robert Ring scored a fine Conahy point from an acute angle to narrow the margin before Charlie Cleere and Bill Walton added points for Tullaroan to see them lead 1-9 to 0-7 at the interval.

Tullaroan extended that lead further on the restart when Keelan Brennan pointed, but Conahy were right back in the game one minute later when a long delivery from Robert Ring ended up in the back of the Tullaroan net.  When Mark Gunner (free) and Harry O’Mahony added a brace of points for the winners the margin was back to the minimum.

Tullaroan put Bill Walton on free-taking duties in the third quarter and he scored a good point after fifteen minutes.  He got another from a sixty-five moments later after Oisín Cahill in the Conahy goal brought off a terrific save from Keelan Brennan.  Another Harry O’Mahony point for Conahy Shamrocks was followed by a similar score from Bill Walton for Tullaroan after a neat pass from Gearoid Dunne.  Brooklyn Synott left a point between the sides close to the end of normal time, but the key score of the game arrived one minute later when Billy Mulhall collected a low delivery from Jack Murphy to score a goal.

Gearoid Dunne hit a brace of points for Tullaroan in between Ciaran Rice pointing a seventy-metre free for the winners, but the momentum was now with Conahy Shamrocks.  They finished impressively with Mark Gunner and Harry O’Mahony hitting points to record a merited win.  Conahy’s work rate in the second half was key to their victory, but in the end Billy Mulhall’s goal proved the difference between two evenly matched teams.

Best for the winners were team captain John Paul Gamble, Conor Duggan, Ciaran Rice, Jack Murphy, Robert Ring and Mark Gunner, while for Tullaroan Bill Walton, Keelan Brennan, Gearoid Dunne, Brendan Walsh Eamonn Óg Holland and Charlie Cleere stood out.

Conahy Shamrocks:  Oisín Cahill, Conor Duggan, John Paul Gamble (capt), Jack Dempsey, Sean O’Dornan, Ciaran Rice (0-1f), Kieran Brennan, Darragh Hennessy, Jack Murphy (0-1), Harry O’Mahony (0-3), Robert Ring (1-3), Damien Cuddihy, Adam Walsh, Mark Gunner (0-5, 0-2f), Brooklyn Synott (0-2).

Subs: Billy Mulhall (1-0), Oisín O’Connor, Jack Joyce.

Tullaroan:  Niall Holland, Josh Tallis, Tom Dillon, Padraig O’Mahoney, Paul Mulligan, Eamonn Og Holland, Jack Cleere (joint capt) (0-1), Bill Walton (0-5, 0-1f, 0-1 65), Charlie Cleere, Keelan Brennan (0-4), Gearoid Dunne (1-4, 0-3f), Brendan Walsh (joint capt), Aaron Russell, Liam Walsh (0-1), James Walton.

Subs:  Bill Coogan, James Cash, Billy Keogh, Matthew Mulligan, Richard Delaney, Richard Cash (inj).

Referee:  Peter Burke (Emeralds)


Permanent TSB U-19 Hurling Championship Roinn E County Final

John Lockes 1-18  St Patrick’s 3-13

(match report – Bosco Bryan, John Lockes)

St. Patricks, Ballyragget clenched victory from John Lockes, Callan in the dying seconds with a goal from their scorer in chief, Cian Doheny, to claim the Permanent TSB U19 E Championship title at a well-attended St. John’s Park on Saturday 20th November 2021.  It was an enthralling affair from start to finish with two evenly matched teams giving their all in an attempt to secure victory.

The Callan men were first on the score board, registering a goal and two points before the fourth minute.  The goal came from a penalty, awarded as a result of a foul on Ryan Donovan-Cooke, which was dispatched to the back of the net by Adam O’Sullivan.  St Patricks were level again by the 12th minute, courtesy of 3 frees from Cian Doheny and one from Kevin Walsh.  From there to half time the teams exchanged points with Ciarán Phelan showing great accuracy from placed balls for the Lockes, mirrored for St. Patrick’s by Doheny.  A major score from Shane Culleton put St. Patrick’s ahead by the barest margin at half time, with a score of 1-8 to 1-7.

The second half saw both teams exchanging points, with Callan registering two from the impressive Conor Brett, and two from Paddy Brennan.  Culleton and Doheny responded for St Patrick’s leaving it 1-12 a piece on the 47th minute.  The Lockes men upped the ante with Ciarán Phelan and Adam O’Sullivan thundering into the game to score the next four points to lead by 1-16 to 1-12 as the clock hit the 54th minute.  However, the Ballyragget men were not found wanting and a point from Michael Cash and a goal from Seán Brennan left it all square again with just four minutes to go.  The Lockes drove on again with two points from Ciarán Phelan just as the game reached the 60th minute.  Then a long speculative ball from Christian McInerney found danger man Cian Doheny and he rose the biggest cheer of the day when he rattled the back of the net to secure the title for St. Patrick’s by the minimum margin.  Final Score John Lockes 1-18 St. Patricks 3-13.

John Lockes:  Harry Madigan, Edmund Dowling, Stephen Bergin, Ethan Bergin, Ben Corcoran, Adam O’Sullivan (capt)(1-0 penalty), Kevin Lynch, John O’Brien, Ciarán Phelan (0-9, 0-6f), Ryan Donovan Cooke, Emmet Nolan, Ryan Roche, Conor Brett (0-4, 0-1f), Paddy Brennan (0-5, 0-3f), Ben Canavan.

St Patrick’s:  Peter Holohan, Niall Kavanagh, Eoin Southgate, Chris Delaney, Matt Love (capt), Christian McInerney, Conor Phelan, Jack Delaney, Cian Doheny (1-10, 0-9f, 0-1 65), Mark Bergin, Kieran Walsh (0-1), Michael Cash (0-1), Dillon Lawless, Shane Culleton (1-1), Sean Brennan (1-0).

Referee: John Bennett (Tullogher Rosbercon)

By John Power Fri 26th Nov

Related News

View All

Main Partners