Admin Login

Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor Hurling League Review

By Eddie Doyle Tue 19th Apr

Minors in full flow around the County


VENUE:  Bennettsbridge

REF: Kieran Canavan


Bennettsbridge 2:10 v 0:08 Dunnamaggin

Bennettsbridge deliver on a wet and windy night as they play host to Dunnamaggin in the Minor Roinn A Hurling League.

The visitors hit first as Dunnamaggin full forward , Jamie Tallon, opened the scoring for the night. Bennetsbridge levelled quickly when Jack Campion pointed from a ’65. Conditions were tough and the ball wasn’t travelling particularly well early on as both teams were coming to terms with the elements. Noah Gilmore had started well for Dunnamaggin , getting a few early possessions and getting fouled on one occasion just inside his own 65 mtr line, up stepped Cathal Buckley and he pointed to put the visitors’ one point up. Bennettsbridge then  kicked into gear with 4 points in a row to start taking charge of this match. A pointed free from Jack Campion was followed quickly by a Noah Gilmore point from play. Young Alex Farrell playing at wing forward then popped an outrages point over from the sideline between the 45 and 65 before Eoin Walpole got his name on the scoresheet to make the score 0:05 v 0:02.  Dunnamaggin found themselves with a great opportunity to draw level when Noah Gilmore found himself only meters from goal with only the keeper to beat and he met a very solid tackle and winning a free for his side. Cathal Buckley again pointed from the placed ball in what was surely a let off for Bennettsbridge. Jack Campion and Cathal Buckley traded points from frees to make it 0:06 v 0:03 before Bennettsbridge went on a riot again to finish the half very strong. Two more pointed frees from Jack Campion, an excellent point from energetic Eoin O Connor and a goal from the dangerous Jack Campion bringing the half time score to 1:09 v 0:04. Bennetbridge were well on top at the break with Paddy Walsh at centreback leading the charge.

Bennettsbridge started the second half with the goal that Dunnamaggin needed. Alex O Farrell doing some great work on the wing found midfielder James Hughes with a great ball and he blasted past Tim Doherty in the Dunnamaggin goal. Bennettsbridge well on top now and one might be forgiven for thinking they were going to drive on and win by a huge margin. That goal was scored after 6 mins of the restart and only for one more pointed free for Bennettsbridge they would not register another score in the closing half. Dunnamaggin were getting on top on the half back line now with Killian Tallon having a big say in play, Jamie Tallon was now at midfield and well involved too.  Dunnamaggin corner forward Noah Cahill pointed to bring his sides tally to 6 points and they were not finished yet. In the move that saw Jamie Tallon switch to midfield we saw  Cathal Buckley move to full forward for the vistors. Cathal finished the scoring on the night with another pointed free and one more from play to see the final score at Bennettsbridge 2:10 v 0:08 Dunnamaggin. Bennettsbridge had the work done at half time to withstand a very gritty comeback by Dunnamaggin in the second half.

Bennettsbridge: Adam Barden, Luke McBride, Joe Hughes, Paddy Cash, Noah Walsh Brennan, Paddy Walsh, Paul Mahon, James Hughes, Eoin O Connor, Scot Hennessey, Oran Lavery, Alex O Farrell, Tony Dobbyn, Jack Campion, Eoin Walpole.

Dunnamaggin: Tim Doherty, Pierce Costello, Cathal Walsh, Thomas Deegan, Killian Tallon, Ross O Neill, Sean Rossiter, Mark McEneaney, Cathal Buckley, Ciaran Hickey, Noah Gilmore, John Hayes, Shay Delaney, Jamie Tallon, Noah Cahill, Conor Aylward, Jake Butler, Daniel Hayes Darwish, Brian Hickey, Ian McDonald, Scot McDonald, David Moore, Sam O Shea, Cathal Rossiter, Stephen Walsh.



 VENUE: Paulstown

 REF: Colin Tobin



Barrow Rangers 3:17 v 1:12 Fenians

 The match threw in at 7pm, with the visitors opening the score with a long distance pointed free.  A cautious start by both teams saw scores mostly from frees, and the home side took a two point lead.  Barrow Rangers held their lead, with the teams trading scores until the quarter of the first half when Barrow Rangers fired in three goals interspersed with points for both sides.  Possession was keenly fought by both midfields, with the home sides Cathal Purcell the standout with some fine long range points.

Half time Barrow Rangers 3-07  Fenians 0-08

The second half followed the same pattern as the start of the first, with two points from Fenians from placed balls.  Scores were harder to come by, with impressive performances from Barrow Rangers Centre forward Noah Scully and Fenians Centre back, O’Grady.  The teams traded points again, and Fenians pulled a goal back deep in injury time.

Final Score Barrow Rangers 3-17 Fenians 1-12




VENUE: Mullinavat

 REF: Raymond Byrne


 Mullinavat 1:08 v 3:09 Barrow Rangers


Mullinavat: 1. Ross Conway 2. Jamie Walshe 3. Eoin Dempsey 4. Jamie Dempsey 5. Stephen O’Shea 6. Patrick Walshe 7. Louis Madigan 8. Jamie Davis 9.  Dylan Dungan 10. Ciaran Holden 11. Cormac McEvoy 12. Mickey Phelan 13. Michael Catt 14. Conor Power 15. Jack Power Sub. 17. Eoin Aylward 18. Ben Cantwell 19. Sean O’Keeffe

Barrow Rangers: 1. Seamus Brennan 2. Eoin Delaney 3. Joey McEvoy 4. Cain Scully 5. Odhran O’Keeffe 6. Darragh Carpenter 7. Patrick Purcell 8. Kaylem Hughes 9. Cathal Purcell 10. Eoin O’Neill 11. Noah Scully 12. Sean Hanlon 13. Liam Nealy 14. Patrick Wade  15. Niall Carpenter


Barrow Rangers opened the game with a point from Eoin O’Neill and Niall Carpenter got the next point.. Jack Power opened the scoring for Mullinavat with a point. He also got the next point for Mullinavat. Kaylem Hughes took a 65 for Barrow Rangers but it just dropped short with Mullinavat’s goalkeeper Ross Conway caught it and drove it back up the field where Conor Power got it and put it over the bar..

Niall Carpenter got a lovely point from play. A few minutes later no.15 for Barrow Rangers rattled the back of the Mullinavat net. Conor Power got the next point for Mullinavat.  Cormac McEvoy no. 11 got a brilliant goal from the 45 yard line. He also scored the next point for Mullinavat. Just before half time Noah Scully found the back of Mullinavat net . At half time Barrow Rangers had 2-3 to Mullinavat’s 1-5. Only a point separated the teams.


The second half started with Barrow Rangers Niall Carpenter getting a point from play. He got the next 3 points of the game until Conor Power got a point for Mullinavat. Barrow Rangers found their pace again with Niall Carpenter getting a goal. Conditions were not great for both teams. Cormac McEvoy got a point for Mullinavat. Conor and Cormac both got a point each from play. The last score of the game was got by Barrow Rangers Patrick Wade.

The  final score was Barrow Rangers 3-8 to Mullinavat’s 1-9.




 VENUE:  Dunnamaggin

 REF: Stephen Delaney


 Dunnamaggin 3-9 v  3-12 O’Loughlin Gaels

 A blustery Dunnamaggin was the venue for Wednesday’s round 2 league encounter. The Gaels started well taking a big lead within 12 minutes through a potent full forward line converting 2-2 between them. Eoghan O’Brien earned a free early on that sharpshooter Fionn Lawlor duly converted. Ruarc Sweeney ended a good move with a fine point soon after, while Eoghan O’Brien popped up again to raise the first green flag of the evening. Within minutes the games second major came by way of a wonderful fionn Lawlor strike, placed after some good interchanges through the field that saw Daniel Briers, Aaron Maher and Rusrc Sweeney combine to deliver.  Ruadhrí Galwey was commanding in his role at centre back, launching attack after attack throughout the game. The momentum shifted mid-way through the half and over a ten minute spell Dunnamaggin hit 3-2 to the Gaels 0-3 (2 frees from Lawlor and another minor through O’Brien). Luke Quigley, Eoghan Bennett and Daniel Briers were imposing themselves on the game now and the momentum shifted back to favour the winners. Full forward Fionn Lawlor hit another point before Ruaidhrí Galwey completed the half’s scoring with a long range point from a free.

Dunnamaggin 3-3 to 2-7 O’Loughlin Gaels

The second half started well for the home side hitting four points to open up a three point lead by the 40th minute. Good work by Galwey set up antagoniser Eoghan O’Brien for another score but was fouled, only delaying the outcome with a successful free to follow. Then a second goal by Lawlor after Luke Quigley and Conor Daly linked to set it up.  A sustained period of dominance saw Lawlor force a fine stop from the Dunnamaggin keeper. Another successful free restored the lead to 2 points. The home team did return the deficit to a single point with minutes remaining but points from Orestas Balsys, Lawlor (f) and Ruarc Sweeney secured the win and the league points

Team: M Lambert, L Hanrahan, B Wall, C Murphy, L Quigley, R Galwey (0-1f), H Roberts, D Briers, E Bennett, A Maher, J Owens, J Bolger, R Sweeney (0-2), F Lawlor (2-7, 6f), E O’Brien (1-1). C Daly, O Balsys (0-1), E O’Callaghan




 VENUE: Slieverue

 REF: Eddie Crowley

 Slieverue 12:13 v 2:08 Ballinkillen

Slieverues U17s gave a great display in a good win tonight against Ballinkillen who travelled from Carlow.  The effort and application from our boys was fantastic and some of the skills and team plays on display were excellent.

Goals from John Rellis and Shane O Keeffe set the tone for the match with scoring spread out amongst all forwards. This excellent effort continued right through to the final whistle with Ballinkillen putting up a valiant effort throughout.





REF: Eamon Mansfield


St Martin’s 5-8 v  0-9 Graignamanagh

After a competitive first half, this game petered out as St Martins pulled away from Graignamanagh in this Roinn B League game played in Coon on Monday evening.
Early points from Patrick Coughlan and James O Neill got St Martins out to a three point lead but Graig pulled level with points from Conor Hoolan, Colin Hamilton and Nicky Ryan. A goal from Aaron Farrell pushed St Martins clear, but again Graig pulled themslves back into the game with points from Hoolan and Ryan. A late goal for St Martins left the half time score at 2-04 to 0-07 for the home team.
The start of the second half showed that St Martins appetite for the game had increased and they began to overpower the Graig lads. Goals from Patrick Couglan and Michael Keane pushed them well ahead of Graig, and the same players added a few points to the scoreboard. The game petered out on a dark, wet evening as both teams emptied their bench for the last quarter. Final score St Martin’s 5-8 Graignamanagh 0-9




Venue: Ballyragget

Referee: Sean McMahon


St Patricks 2:15 v 2:08 Rower Inistioge

Ballyragget was the venue for the next round of the league matches as Rower/Inistioge travelled north to take on St Patrick’s

Both teams were starting off in the match with one win and one loss behind them so both felt they had something to prove

To say the weather may have tampered both sides, would be an understatement. Damp, dark, misty and grey  were the conditions in the night -not ideal for any hurling match, player or spectators.

Rower/Inistioge opened the scoring with a point while St. Patrick’s were still finding their feet and any of their attempts were heading wide. A free from Mark Doheny settled the nerves and once St Patrick’s gathered their composure, there was no turning back. Tit for tat scoring continued for most of the first half until a goal from Ballyragget’s Shane Culleton expanded the lead and it was left unanswered by Rower/Inistioge.
Half time score St Patrick’s 1-9 Rower/Inistioge 0-6

The rain continued to mist for the rest of the match, making conditions worse but St Patrick’s continued to dominate the second half, taking advantage of any scoring opportunities that they could get. Rower/Inistioge  not making it easy for them. All credit to Rower/Inistioge for their strength, skill and speed which was evident throughout. This was proven when they took advantage of St Patrick’s lapse in concentration and scored not one but two goals within 3 minutes and it was clear they were not going to be defeated easily. It narrowed St. Patrick’s lead and turned the match into an interesting encounter. St. Patrick’s didn’t panic though and continued to battle back, dropping over points and expanding their lead once again. In the dying seconds Mark Doheny found the back of the net scoring Ballyragget’s second goal to end the match St Patrick’s 2-15 Rower/Inistioge 2-8

A tough match for both teams. Both showed great determination and skill but St Patrick’s were just that bit stronger and once they got their stride, it was hard to catch up.

Credit must be given to Rower/Inistioge for  their hard work- their fighting spirit was evident from the start and it was commendable. In nicer conditions this would have been a highly entertaining game to watch so hopefully as the season progresses, we will enjoy these sorts of matches in brighter drier weather. Well done to St Patrick’s who take the league points from this encounter and it’s onwards and upwards for both teams.




 VENUE: Gowran

 REF: Patrick O Reilly

 Young Irelands 0:11 v 0:12 Carrickshock

While people were celebrating the Last Supper of Holy Thursday, in Gowran Carrickshock made the journey from down south to play the U17 Roinn C Young Irelands’ team.

Carrickshock took an early lead with 5 points in five minutes unanswered by the native side. Half time saw the Shocks lead 0:8 to 0:5. Darragh Doyle worked ferociously in midfield for Young Irelands while Sam Brennan caused havoc in the Carrickshock square.

Edward Dwyer was a constant threat for Young Irelands and he scored five points for the visiting side from play.

Gowran upped their work rate in the second half and notched up 4 points within the opening five minutes. And then a lull of 20 minutes insued where Mikey Rohan and William Hogg held the Young Irelands’ men scoreless.  Matthew Murphy, from Rockhall, was as good as a Mîele hoover, sweeping up any danger balls. Gowran’s substitute; Ben Drennan added 2 points for Young Irelands but Carrickshock were adamant in their attack and replied with a further two points to give them the narrowest of leads at the final whistle.


By Eddie Doyle Tue 19th Apr

Related News

View All

Main Partners