Windgap GAA Grounds. Eircode: R95 XY81. Drone Image by Andy Ryan (www.1803productions.com)
Windgap club was founded in 1954 following the advent of the one Parish Rule in the County during an era of change from football to hurling as the dominant sport played in the area.
Gaelic Games have been played in the area since the 1890’s. In the early days it was a famous football stronghold through the Slatequarries, Killamery, Lamogue, Garryricken, Cotterstown and St. Nicholas. It had previously delved into hurling with the Slatequarries in 1929 and St. Joseph ‘s in Tullahought in the 1940’s. Handball first made its appearance in the Slatequarries in the early 1900’s before it quickly spread to Windgap. Camogie started in Lamogue in the 1920’s and was played in many areas of the parish with teams representing Windgap and Tullahought at various stages. Ladies Football was played in the area for a time in the 1970’s with a team in Tullahought
In recent years great strides have been made by Windgap Camogie Club that was founded in 1994 and Windgap Handball Club in that was started in 1984.
Over the generation’s community pride, financial support, foresight and committed leaders have seen the club develop its own top class grounds, handball alley and club rooms. Growing demands with more juveniles playing the games from a younger age have led to progressive plans being put in place to provide additional facilities as the club continues to play a key part in the communities and county’s success story.