Admin Login

Magnificent Double for Kilkenny in Croke Park

By Mary Morgan Sun 10th Feb

Thomastown 2-17  Fullen Gaels 2-14

Thomastown were made fight all the way before they eventually saw off a game Fullen Gaels side in the Junior Club Final In Croke Park today. Thomastown opened brightly and looked extremely dangerous in the opening 10 minutes. They eased to a 0-6 to 0-4 lead after 15 mins but a dogged Fullen Gaels side and in particular centre forward Robbie Power ensured that this was not going to be an easy ride for the Kilkenny champions. The sides were level at 0-6 each on 17 minutes before Darren Burke goaled for a crucial Thomastown score a minute later. But Robbie Power replied with a similar score in the 19th minute to leave the minimum between the sides. Thomastown were two points up at the break 1-10 to 1-8.

Thomastown had the first score of the second half but another Robbie Power goal a minute later had the sides level again. Thomastown then had a purple patch and scored 1-4 without reply, the goal coming from Thomas O Hanrahan, to leave them with what looked like a commanding 7 point lead entering the final quarter. But Fullen Gaels to their credit never gave in and 5 Robbie Power points from frees always ensured this game was going to the wire.  Thomastown fought bravely in the final minutes against massive Fullen Gaels pressure and deservedly held out for a 2-17 to 2-14 victory.

Full credit to both sides for a very entertaining game in very difficult conditions. Full marks also to Thomastown Captain Jonjo Farrell for an excellent acceptance speech.


Clara 1-16  St Gabriels 0-11 

Unlike Thomastown Clara were never in trouble in the Intermediate Final against London rivals St Gabriels. They raced into a 0-7 to 0-1 lead halfway through the opening half and although St Gabriels rallied somewhat in the second quarter the Kilkenny side still had a commanding 0-11 to 0-4 lead a the break.

Whatever hope the London side had were extinguished when Keith Hogan goaled early in the second half.  Clara were 1-14 to 0-5 ahead at the three quarter stage. Gamely St Gabriels fought on and reduced the lead to 7 points entering the final 5 minutes. But Clara were never in danger and ran out convincing winners 1-16 to 0-11.

See Report on the Kilkenny Double from attached

By Mary Morgan Sun 10th Feb

Related News

View All

Main Partners