Admin Login

Bord na nÓg update – Week 30

By Mary Morgan Mon 7th Oct

Carrickshock 3-18 Erin’s Own 3-15

Erin’s Own started the brighter in this Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor B quarter final replay and, but some wayward shooting, could have built up a sizeable early lead. But they made up for it when pouncing on a short puck out that wasn’t cleared and Lee Holden took his goal chance expertly. It put them 1-2 to 0-1 ahead after 10 minutes. But Carrickshock responded well to score the next 3 points, with some excellent scores from distance. From there to half time both teams had their purple patches. Coming up to half-time Erin’s Own had opened up a nice lead before Carrickshock full-forward Eoghan O’Neill read a long delivery brilliantly and struck 1st time to the net. It left the half-time scores 1-8 to 1-6 to the home side.

Now aided by the slight breeze Carrickshock started the 2nd half the stronger. After 15 minutes they’d finally edged in front after Eoghan O’ Neill converted a couple of tricky frees. But when Jamie Maher burst through the Carrickshock defence and gave Darragh Dwyer no chance in the goal, Erin’s Own were back in the driving seat, 2-10 to 1-10 with 10 minutes left. Well-taken Carrickshock points from Padraig Lennon and Eoin Crowley kept them in touch, but Erin’s Own were responding likewise. 2 minutes into injury time there was still a goal in it. Then Eoin Crowley won a ball on the edge of the square and drilled it to the corner of the net. 2-12 each and on to Extra Time.

The spoils were shared in the 1st half of Extra Time, and it was 2-15 each at the turn. From there on Carrickshock burst into life They knocked over the next 3 points and when Oisin Doyle showed a real goal poacher’s instinct, they led by 6 points with time up in the 2nd period. A goal from a free deep in injury time gave Erin’s Own’s brief hope, but the final whistle blew before they could mount another attack.



Darragh Dwyer, James O’Shea, Sean Moore, Kyle Dineen, Oisin Carroll (0-1 Free), Luke Hudson, Josh Treacy, Padraig Lennon (0-3) , Jack McGuirk, Shane Fennelly, Eoin Crowley (1-1), Oisin Doyle (1-0), Josh Dineen, Eoghan O’Neill (1-11, 0-9 Frees), Tommy Doyle (0-2). Subs: Stephen Neville (for Josh Dineen), Edward Dwyer, William Hogg, Michael O’Shea, Joseph Aylward,

Erin’s Own

Luca Downey, Evan Harding, Darragh O’Rourke, Owain Comerford, Cathal O’Reilly, Dean Bray, Alan Smyth, Shane Coogan (0-4, 0-3 Frees), Kevin Holland, Jamie Maher (2-5, 1-3 Frees), Kevin Smyth (0-2), Tommy Coogan (0-1), Lee Holden (1-1), Kiel Smyth (0-2), Ashley Kerr, Subs: Shane Holden, Ciaran Meagher, Adam Stone, Liam Doyle, Kevin Brennan, John Kenny, James Kenny, Ewan Connery, Joey Ryan, Brian Holland. 

Meanwhile Graigue Ballycallan & Young Ireland’s will have to do it all again as the drew 0-17 a piece in tough conditions. 

In Roinn A there was an all South derby between Mooncoin & Dunnamaggin. It was all square after 5 minutes play as Oisin Hennerby & Denis swapped points. In fact it was Dunnamaggin who made the early running through Walsh & Andy Hickey before a James O’Keeffe goal got Mooncoin back into the equation but by half time Dunnamaggin we’re back in front 0-11 to 1-7 as Joe Fitzpatrick landed their pick of scores. 

Early frees from Walsh in the new half seemed to swing things until Hennerby popped up with a rocket of a goal. Sean O’Dwyer added a point soon after. The game seemed to be up as James Aylward fired home a penalty but Hickey got one for Dunnamaggin but Alan Walsh had the last say to get a goal of his to seal the semi final berth for last years county champions. 


Tulllogher Rosbercon U15′ hurlers make it to the County final.

Despite the driving wind and rain, the Tullogher U15’s put in a great performance today by beating a strong Kilmacow team in the U15 Roinn B Duggan Steel Hurling Championship semi final.

Tullogher faced the wind in the first half and were under pressure in the early stages. Kilmacow scored a well worked point from play followed by a point from play by Danny Glennon for Tullogher.

Weather conditions made scoring chances difficult to come by, but the when a goal chance came Danny Glennon’s way (despite being marked by 2 Kilmacow men) he blasted it to the net to put the home side three points ahead.

Kilmacow responded with a point from a 65 and another from play by James Walsh.

Tullogher finished the half strongly with Danny Glennon scoring 2 points from placed balls.

Half time score T/R 1-3 Kilmacow 0-3

Tullogher had wind advantage in the second half but Kilmacow players Jack O,Neill, James Walsh, Tadhg Connoly and David Williams in particular were not giving up. The boys from Kilmacow fought for every single ball and scored a point from a deserved free to cut the gap to 2.

Tullogher centre-back, Lar Murphy put in a man of the match performance, by braking up most of Kilmacow’s attacks and clearing numerous balls.

The excellent Lar also showed accuracy by stepping up and scoring 2 points (one from 65 and one from a free) to put the boys 4 ahead.

Kilmacow fought back with everything they had and were unlucky only to score 2 further points from frees.

On another day, Kilmacow may have converted more of the opportunities they had but the Tullogher backs, Lar Murphy, Cathal Mooney and Aidan Lawlor in particular were not giving much away.

Danny moved to half forward where he picked up a loose ball and raced through the Kilmacow defense and scored a nice point. This was followed by a Lar Murphy long range free.

Tullogher Rosbercon sealed the win with a great point from a difficult angle by midfielder Marty Murphy.

Final score Tullogher Rosbercon: 1-08 Kilmacow 0-6

In the other semi final there was a major surprise as St Martins got the better of Tullaroan 1-19 to 2-9. In fairness to the men in the sash playing two games in five days probably was a tad too far as they had defeated Erins Own earlier on in the week in Dunmore where Gearoid Dunne put on an exhibition scoring 3-7. 

However in Coon Martins bridged a fourteen year gap to qualify for there first final since 2005. Conor Dooley settled St Martins with some points from midfield whilst Jamie Morrissey helped his side out. 

A superb goal from Dunne brought Tullaroan back into it to 1-8 to 1-3 at the break. 

Adam Morrissey, Michael Keane & Cillian Dowling all fired over quick points but every time Dunne got the ball there was a sense of danger. In injury time a point from Jamie Morrissey sealed the victory. 

By Mary Morgan Mon 7th Oct

Related News

View All

Main Partners