Admin Login

Bord na nÓg update – Week 31

By Mary Morgan Tue 15th Oct

Dicksboro 2-17Galmoy/Windgap 0-10

A superb second half performance sent Dicksboro minors into the Roinn A Final once again on Sunday last when they overcame Galmoy/Windgap in Palmerstown .Dicksboro had set the early pace spurred on by a seventh minute goal from Sean Maher to lead 1-2 to 0-0 after seven minutes. However ,over the course of the next ten minutes, Galmoy/Windgap plucked five points without reply, from Eoin O Brien, Billy Drennan(3) and Pauric Foley, to level it up 1-2 to 0-5 after 18 minutes.The Boro replied through Aran Murphy and Liam Moore (2) . Billy Drennan then hit a purple patch with five points without reply, both from play and from frees.

The visitors lead 0-10 to 1-6 at half time and seemed to be well in contention. Despite losing a player to a second yellow just before the interval, it was Dicksboro who were energised for the new half. In particular, Liam Moore was the one player who really stood out for the hosts as he proceeded to really dominate at midfield and was in great shooting form all through. The loss of the player seemed to create more space for the ‘Boro forwards and they ran riot from here on. A 50th minute goal from substitute Nick Doheny sealed their place in the final against Mooncoin but one would have to commend Galmoy/Windgap for their displays this year as they marked themselves down as a force in Roinn A hurling. 

Dicksboro:Brian Manogue,Tom Carroll,Niall Rowe,Luca Loli,Rory O Connor,Padraic Moylan,Colm O Hara,Liam Moore(0-11),Charlie Nolan,Aran Murphy(0-2),Timmy Clifford,Eoin Dalton,Mikey Clifford(0-1),Cormac Kennedy,Sean Maher(1-1).

Subs: Harry Shine(0-1) for Eoin Dalton 29 ins, Nick Doheny(1-1) , James Carroll for Cormac Kennedy 57 mins, Eoghan O Neill for Mikey Clifford.

Galmoy/Windgap: James Purcell, Calum Lonergan,Sean Purcell, Pauric Foley(0-1) , Sean Barron, David Sherman ,Gearóid Phelan, Eoin O Brien(0-1), Adam O Shea, Jack Doyle,Mark McCoy, Billy Drennan(0-8) Matt Delaney, Blade O Gorman, Zak Kennedy

Subs: James Darcy for Adam O Shea 50 mins,Niall O Brien for Zak Kennedy 51 mins and Jamie Joy for Matt Delaney 52 mins.


In the other semi final Mooncoin had a comprehensive victory on this occasion and, not only because it appeared that the Village didn’t ‘turn up’, it has to be said they produced a display of quality not seen locally for many a year. It will also have to be admitted that the ‘Home’ venue was a big factor for the second game in a row where the support behind the team is infectious, following on from last year’s success at this level.


All in all it was just a marvellous ‘Team’ performance, by the Mooncoin lads, with huge leadership shown down the centre by Arron O Neil, James Aylward, Mairtin Gannon and Oisin Henebery. From the outset the midfielders, Sean O’Dwyer and Ryan Carroll, showed a dominance which they held throughout, scoring three good points during the opening six minutes. However, real class was displayed especially by forwards James O Keeffe and Adam Croke as their skillset on show was of the highest order, drawing much admiration from the crowd, in some of the scores taken by them.


Because James Stephens finished the first half with a flourish and started the second half with more determination, a certain amount of anxiety became evident in the Mooncoin play, however, the game was ended as a contest between the tenth and the fifteenth minute. During this period a superb point from Adam Croke, a point from a sixty five by James Aylward and a goal by Mairtin Gannon after tremendous play by James O’Keeffe meant that the game was over as a contest. Mooncoin were now able to give valuable experience and a sample of the atmosphere to five young substitutes during the remaining quarter.


There was one semi final in the Minor B Championship and it was not for the faint of hearted as Carrickshock and St Martins clashed in Muckalee. The last time these teams clashed in a Minor knockout championship game was in 2002 – a time where both these clubs were at the fore front of underage hurling in Kilkenny. 


In front of a large crowd Carrickshock rocked the home side with a goal from Shane Fennelly but Martins responded soon after with a Joe Reid goal who’d a powerful 60 minutes hurling. Eoghan O’Neill & Jack Farrell traded frees but ‘Martins spurned a dozen scorable chances during this period and the ‘Shock punished them with Fennelly plucking another goal to go in at the break content 2-5 to 1-3. 


The third quarter belonged to Carrickshock and they eventually eked out a 2-10 to 1-7 advantage as the clock hit 50 minutes but boy good did the home support get behind St Martins as Jamie Morrissey, Josh Dempsey, Tristan Roche & Reid all stood and were counted and when Dempsey landed the equalising goal the roar could be heard in Coon. 

Jack Farrell then pushed St Martins ahead with a free before O’Neill levelled matters. 

As the game entered the 66th minute many in the crowd couldn’t watch as Dempsey popped the winner. Shock might have gotten a deserved draw soon after but the Saints held on. It was hard not to feel sorry for the losers who had given their all in pursuit of glory as they have developed into a fine team over the course of the year and should take great credit but maybe three big games in fourteen days caught up on them in the end. 

For St Martins they look forward to their first minor final in 13 years and look to bring back the trophy for the first time since 2000.


U-13 Roinn C County Final 


St Patrick’s & Ballyhale Shamrocks squared up in the Duggan Steel Roinn C County final at a well appointed Gowran. St Patrick’s were chasing victory after being pipped by Graignamanagh in the 2018 final. 

Mike Keneally got the southerners off to a perfect start with a fine point after 60 seconds play. St Patrick’s responded with a score in kind from Mark Bergin as the early exchanges flowed from end to end. Oisin Troy got the men clad in maroons first goal when he weaved through a few defenders to send the green flag waving. He helped himself to a point soon after before Keneally fired over a point. The young Ballyhale player converted a placed ball but his side was rocked when Mark Doheny hit a fire cracker of a shot to the roof of the net for St Patrick’s to retake their dominance. 

In fairness this Ballyhale side are made of stern stuff & Killian Ryan’s clearance eventually found Rian Shefflin who slotted the sliothar easily home. 

Troy popped up the other end to gain his own goal and Bergin added to this with a point. Jake Mullen pulled a point back to leave his side trailing 3-5 to 1-4 behind. 

A strong second half from St Patrick’s saw them make sure of victory with Troy’s two points & a goal from Christian Connick were the only scores in that third quarter and it was enough to ensure the trophy was going back to Ballyragget. 


By Mary Morgan Tue 15th Oct

Related News

View All

Main Partners