Admin Login

Fr Manning Cup report & Bord na nÓg update – Week 34

By Mary Morgan Mon 11th Nov


Fr Manning CUP Round 3 in MW Hire Training Centre, Dunmore – 11/11/2019



HT: 2-4 to 1-3

Scorers: Tommy Coogan (1-1) Evin Rudkins (1-0), Rory O’Connor (0-2), Shane Buggy (0-2f)

Team: Bill Hughes (Bennettsbridge), Stephen Foley (Graignamanagh), Tommy Phelan (Young Irelands), Richie McEvoy (Lisdowney), Tom Reid (Piltown), Sean O’Dwyer (Mooncoin – Capt), Sean Knox (Dicksboro), Callum Arthurs (Tullogher Rosbercon), Cathal Beirne (Glenmore), Pauric Murphy (Mooncoin), Tommy Coogan (Erins Own), John Canny (Danesfort), Rory O’Connor (Dicksboro), Evin Rudkins (Barrow Rangers), Shane Buggy (Railyard).


Subs: James Carroll (Dicksboro), Ryan Kielthy (Graignamanagh), Alan Dunphy (Lisdowney), Harry Roche (Railyard), Sean Keenan (Dicksboro),


Panellists: Paul Mulligan (Tullaroan), Eamonn O’Reilly (Dicksboro), Dillon Lawless (St. Patricks), Mick Carroll (Dicksboro), Paddy Reagan (Kilmacow), Cian Murphy (Graignamanagh), Evan McEvoy (Lisdowney), Malachy Flaherty (Railyard), Eoghan O’Neill (Dicksboro), Shane Cleary (Graignamanagh), Joe Healy (Barrow Rangers),


Management Team: DJ Carey (Young Irelands), Seamus Norris (Piltown), Angelo Cullen (Danesfort), Donal Carroll (Dicksboro)


Kilkenny recorded their first underage competitive Gaelic Football victory since beating Louth in the 2005 Leinster Minor championship after hard fought one point win over Waterford in the Fr. Manning Cup at MW Hire Training Centre Dunmore. Kilkenny dominated the majority of the first half with sweeping attacking football.  Goals from Tommy Coogan and Evin Rudkins and two points from play by Rory O’Connor and one from Tommy Coogan ensured the scoreboard matched the game dynamic as Kilkenny led 2-3 to 0-3 coming towards the break with strong performances all round by the defence. However, with a couple of minutes remaining in the first period, a high dropping ball deceived the Kilkenny goalkeeper and defence and there was only a goal between the teams. Subsequently, a pointed free by the accurate Shane Buggy gave Kilkenny a four point cushion at the break, 2-4 to 1-3.


James Carroll replaced the injured Sean Knox at the break as Waterford upped the gears.  The Kilkenny defence were heroic as they repelled wave after wave of Waterford attack. The midfield and forwards worked incredibly hard getting back to support their teammates with on several occasions getting fifteen players behind the ball. When the defence was breached Bill Hughes whose kickouts were immense stood firm in the goal. The counter attacks were swift but sometimes the final decision was not the best. Waterford reduced the rears and drew level with several pointed frees.  With about a minute of normal time left, Shane Buggy was fouled and the Railyard player pointed to put Kilkenny 2-5 to 1-7, a point up. The drama was not over as Waterford came charging for an equaliser but once again stout defending by the Kilkenny backs forced Waterford wide and a historic victory was secured.


The Kilkenny defence was brilliant led by a brilliant Sean O’Dwyer and Tommy Phelan.  Tom Reid, Stephen Foley and Richie McEvoy were also outstanding in a defensive unit that that was solid throughout. At midfield Callum Arthurs ran himself to a standstill and he was ably support by Cathal Beirne who was wonderful under the high ball. Up front, the work rate of John Canny and Pauric Murphy stood out as they negated the attacking Waterford half back line. Tommy Coogan showed incredible attacking instincts and was a constant thorn for the heart of the Waterford defence with his darting solo runs. Evin Rudkins scored a brilliant early goal from full forward and made many journeys back to help his defence. Rory O’Connor tormented his marker and there were excellent performances from all the substitutes introduced.  All 20 players and the extended panel can take great credit for a display of determination.


The starting team featured players from 13 different clubs and in all 16 different clubs were represented on the panel. Huge credit to the clubs who supplied players and the parents who encouraged their sons to don the black and amber with pride in what is an unfashionable code for many.



Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor C Final

Kilmacow 5-11 2-8 Black & Whites 

The Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor C final was played in crisp winter conditions at MW Hire Dunmore park but the fare on show certainly got the pulses racing. 

Ryan Murphy got the Skeough men off to the perfect start with a fine pointed free but they were rocked soon after when Ted Doyle booted a goal home after the sliothar has ping ponged around the square. 

Fergal Suffin & Murphy swapped pointed frees soon after with Murphy tagging on a free from the very next play. 

Blacks & Whites retook the lead when Sam Byrnes sweet pass sent Senan Doyle racing towards the goal and Doyle duly rifled the shot towards the top right hand corner. 

Again Murphy & Suffin were proving accurate from placed balls grabbing one each prior to a sweet Suffin point from play after an exchange of passes from Tadgh Connolly & Doyle.  

Doyle then pilfered a goal after James Walsh found the man on the edge of the square. Walsh quickly added a point but back came the Black & Whites with Doyle sending a white flag waving. A quick double of Murphy pointed frees brought the sides level but Ted Doyle had the last say of the half to give Kilmacow a 2-5 to 1-7 half time lead. This was a lead they would not surrender. 

Kilmacow started the second half in rip roaring fashion and effectively ended the game as a contest scoring 1-5 without reply. 

Fionn Blanche doubled on a Ted Doyle shot to send the green flag waving. Connolly (2), Suffin, Walsh & Stephen Moore all fired over minors before Murphy gained a point back through Murphy but the most influential player on the field James Walsh’s shot eventually landed up in the net. 

In fairness to Black & Whites they didn’t throw in the towel and pulled a goal back through a Murphy goal from a ‘21. 

Moore ensures the trophy was going south when got Kilmacows 5th goal in injury time which was soon followed by a Connolly point. 

The score line probably was a bit unfair to Blacks & Whites who missed a number of chances in the second half and had fine performers in the Doyle’s Corey & Senan whilst Sam Byrne & Ryan Murphy had their moments. 

For Kilmacow this was a much needed tonic to the club and they had a number of stars on the day with Fionn Blanche, Suffin, Kieran Dowling & Ted Doyle all putting their shoulder to the wheel along with the aforementioned Walsh. 

Blacks & Whites: John Meaney, Joe Whitty, Daire Moran, Mike Murphy, James Whitty, Michael Prendergast, Corey Doyle, Patrick McDonald, Jack Kelly, Sam Byrne, Senan Doyle (1-1) Sean Ryan, Cian Jordan, Ryan Murphy (1-7, all frees), Daire Murphy.

Subs: Pierce Ryan 

Kilmacow: Sean Dowling, Paddy Regan, Kieran Dowling, Jack Murphy, Billy Phelan, Liam Lacey, Dev Lowe, Fionn Blanche (1-0), Tom Butler, James Walsh (1-2),  Fergal Suffin (0-4, 0-2 frees) Stephen Moore (1-1)  Conor Walsh, Ted Doyle (2-1) Tadgh Connolly (0-3)

Subs: Eoin Walsh, Donnacdha Williams, Jack O’Neill, Josh Maher Mate. 

Ref: Gay Rafter (Threecastles)

As this is the last Bord na nOg report of the year I’d like to thank all the clubs who made this such an enjoyable experience and contributed it to it. Also thanks very much to the clubs who dropped over mugs of tea and coffee it is deeply appreciated and hopefully we can make it better in 2020. 

By Mary Morgan Mon 11th Nov

Related News

View All

Main Partners