Admin Login

Bord na nÓg update – Week 3

By Mary Morgan Wed 12th Aug

Minor A

Dicksboro started their Minor  Championship with a win over Thomastown on Monday Evening. Goals in the first half from Harry Shine, Mikey Raggett, and Nick Doheny sent the boro boys on their way. Second half goals from Zac McHardy x2 and Mikey Raggett meant that Dicksboro ran winnners 6-23 to 3-05 at full time. They followed this up with a comprehensive win over Mooncoin whilst in Young Ireland’s came out on top v O’Loughlin Gaels. 


Minor B 

Dunnamaggin 3-16 2-11 Kilmacow 

In the all south clash in Dunnamaggin it was a case of of last years Roinn C Champions Kilmacow learning that the step up in grade will take a little time to adjust to. They were game throughout the 60 minutes but the greater scoring threat was apparent throughout asthe hosts got 5 of their starting forwards having scored from play after 26 minutes play. 

The game started at a huge tempo James Walsh from Kilmacow got the opening point from the throw in but the hosts responded in rapid fashion with Aidan O’Neill sending the green flag waving after a booming clearance from Sean O’Keeffe. 

James & Denis Walsh shared the next four points equally as it was tit for tat in the opening exchanges. David Williams then cut the deficit to two with a fine point however in the run up to the water break Dunnamaggin let loose with O’Keeffe (2), Cathal

Buckley & Walsh landed points. There was a brief respite for Kilmacow with Walsh converting a placed ball. 

Again a powerful wave of attacking force cane from the men in green & gold with Ruarai Holden gosling after one of many great saves from Sean Dowling. Walsh, Joe Fitzpatrick (2), Ross O’Neill & Holden all firing over points with the sole response being a Jack O’Neill point to leave the hosts 2-13 to 0-6 ahead at the break. 

Denis Walsh again started the new half in fine form with two pointed frees whilst Buckley & James Walsh swapped points. 

Lesser teams would have folded but in fairness to last years C champs they kept plugging away with Williams & Tom Reddy grabbing minors before James Walsh went on a searing solo run which ended with Ted Doyle blasting the shot to the roof of the net. Williams followed up with a fine point before a quick puck out saw Denis Walsh grab a point back. His namesake James responded in kind. In the dying embers of the game Buckley & O’Neill swapped goals. 

Best for Dunnamaggin were Denis Walsh & Joe Fitzpatrick whilst Sean O’Keeffe was an attacking threat from 6. Kilmacow had good performers in James Walsh, David Williams & Liam Lacey from the bench. 

Dunnamaggin: Tom Buckley, Eoin Shiel, Jim O’Neill, Craig Drennan, Aaron Moore, Sean O’Keeffe (0-2), Colin Fitzpatrick, Denis Walsh (0-8, 0-4 frees)Mickey Thomas, Tom Lodge, Joe Fitzpatrick(0-2), Ross O’Neill(0-1), Cathal Buckley(1-2), Aidan O’Neill (1-0) Ruairi Holden(1-1). Subs: Sean Lawton, Noah Gilmore, 

Kilmacow: Sean Dowling, Nick Cass, Donnocha Williams, Ciaran Murrary, Darragh Kelly, Dev Lowe, Paddy Regan, Tadgh Connolly, David Williams(0-2), Callum Regan, Ted Doyle(1-0), Harry Twomey, Tom Reddy(0-1), James Walsh(0-6, 0-4 frees) Jack O’Neill (1-1)

Subs: Liam Lacey, James Foot, Cillian Blanch, Gearoid Long

Ref: Michael O’Sullivan (Ballyhale Shamrocks) 


A perfect evening for a hurling match with very little breeze and the second match for both teams in the League/ Championship. With Bennettsbridge winning their first match and Graig narrowly losing there first game by a single point, it was set up to be tough game for both teams.

Straight from the throw in , Graig took an early point to settle the team very early and it took the Bridge boys a few more minutes to find their feet and with some well taken points from play, they quickly took the lead and never gave it up.

A well worked goal from the back to the front and a tidy finish from inform forward Paddy Walsh to give Bennettsbridge what looked like a 5 point lead heading to the halftime but not to be outdone a great move down the right and a cracking finish into the back of the net by the Graigwing forward narrowed the lead to just 2 points on the stroke of halftime. With some great saves from the Graig keeper keeping their team in the game the Bridge can feel hard done by only going in 2 points up.

Point for point in the second half until a fast break from Dylan Kenny laying the ball to Paddy Walsh for his second goal of the game pushed the Bridge players to a 3 point break going into the waterbreak. Shorlty after the re-start what would have been the goal of the season saw the ball from back to middle to Timmy Kelly in the corner  who handpassed an audacious behind his back pass to John Doyle who shot was saved by a very sharp and alert Graig goalkeeper.

Down the other end came Graig and with their second goal of the match narrowed the lead to just a single point leading into the final minutes of the game. 

A great tussle from both teams and luckily the Bridge came out on top winning by the narrowest of margins and hard luck to Graiguenamanagh losing their second game by a single point. 

Other results from Roinn B saw Erins Own defeat Conahy Shamrocks 2-18 to 4-9 in a thrilling affair whilst Bennetsbridge won their derby match over Danesfort. 


In Roinn C in another all south game 

Minor C League / Championship

Carrickshock 3-17 Ballyhale Shamrocks 2-16.


Carrickshock got their Minor campaign back on track with a win over Ballyhale Shamrocks in a fiercely competitive and highly entertaining game in a sunny Hugginstown on Monday evening.  Oisin Doyle, Padraig Lennon and Shane Fennelly were on target for Carrickshock early on  before Killian Corcoran scored the Shamrocks first from play after 15 minutes. Shamrocks rallied for a spell to leave it 0-6 to 0-5. But when Stephen Neville pounced on a short puckout, raced into the open space and found the net, it put some daylight between them. From there to half time Carrickshock took over and a goal from Padraig Lennon extended the lead, leaving them 8 points up at half time. But Shamrocks took the game to their opponents from the start of the 2nd half. An early goal by Niall Shortall followed by points from Killian Corcoran and a couple of Dara Mason frees brought them right back into it. But Shane Fennelly’s pace was a constant threat and a goal deflected from a one of his many deliveries was no more than he deserved. Shamrocks threw everything at the Carrickshock defence but Sean Moore at centre back, full back James O Shea and goalie Edward Dwyer all held firm to see Carrickshock emerge with a 7 point victory.



Ballycomey, Castlecomer. 

Result Erins Own 0-11 ; O’Loughlin Gaels 2-9. 

Scores were level at 0-2 and 0-3 each but when the city side got through for a goal at the end of the first quarter they never relinquished the lead. As the half time whistle sounded O’Loughlins maintained that three point lead at 1-7 to 0-7. On target for the home side were Michael Brennan 0-3 and James Coogan 0-3 with Shane Holden completing the scoring. Scores were scarcer in the second half with both sides hooking and blocking to good effect. With Comer struggling in front of goal the city side got through for goal number two despite the best efforts of home net-minder Conor O’Sullivan. As the game entered the final five minutes O’Loughlins led by 2-9 to 0-9. Comer kept plugging and cut the lead to 4 points. Throwing caution to the wind the boys in blue forced a couple of late frees from one of which James Coogan brought a great point blank save by the city keeper. That was as good as it got for the Comer boys as O’Loughlins held firm to take the points. 

Best for the home side were Conor O’Sullivan, Jack Comerford, Joey Ryan, Bobby Brennan, Michael Brennan, Shane Holden, James Coogan, Darragh Normoyle and sub Eamon Brannigan.

Scorers Michael Brennan (0-5), James Coogan (0-5), Shane Holden (0-1).  


The clash between Clara and Gowran was nip and tuck for much of the match. A first half goal from Cian Phelan was the difference at half-time; Clara 0-8, Gowran 1-7. Further goals in the second half from Jaime Carter and Ben Phelan saw Gowran home despite the best efforts of Ben Crow and Harry Boyle for Clara. Full time: Clara 0-14 Gowran 3-13.

Roinn B

St Patrick Ballyragget  2-14GalmoyWindgap  1-12

A strong spurt in the last ten minutes saw St Patrick’s Ballyragget take the points in this exciting U-15 clash in Galmoy on Wednesday evening last. After 50 minutes,the sides were locked together on 1-11 each but a 52nd minute goal by Shane Cullen after a good run by Sean Brennan inspired the St Patricks side to finish strong with further points from Cullen and Shane Culleton.

A feature of the game was the goalkeeping exploits of Eoin O Shea in the Galmoy/Windgap goal culminating with a fine penalty save from a Shane Culleton strike in the 42nd minute.The Galmoy/Windgap goal came in the 28th minute. A Niall Drennan shot came back in to play off the upright and when Michael Freaney passed the sliotar across the square, Ronan O Brien first timed to the Ballyragget net. Within a minute Mark Bergin replied with a similar green flag at the other end which left the half time score at  St Patricks 1-10 to Galmoy/Windgap1-8.

Others to do well were, Mikie Glennon and Harry Culleton for St Patricks while Noah O Shea and Conor Doyle also tried hard for the hosts, who had to line out without Colman Moloney,when he dislocated a finger in the warm-up.

St Patricks Ballyragget: Oisín Troy,Ruairí Farrell,MikieGlennon,Niall Kavanagh,Christen Connick(0-2 frees),Aaron Nealis,Harry Culleton,Chris Delaney,Shane Cullen(1-1),Thomas Love,Mark Bergin(1-2),Josh Dowling,Mark Doheny(0-2),Shane Culleton(Capt.)(0-6 frees),Sean Brennan(0-1)

Sub: Taras Biletsky for Aaron Nealis(inj) 31 mins.

Galmoy/Windgap:Eoin O Shea, George Culleton , RohanLonergan, Conor Darcy, Darragh Doyle, Jack O Shea ,Noah O Shea,Cian O Rourke, Evan Doyle, Niall Drennan(0-3,0-2 frees), James Purcell(0-3,0-2  65s),Conor Doyle(0-6, 0-4 frees), Michael Freaney John Dermody,Ronan O Brien(1-0).

Subs: P J Delaney ,Fionn Lonergan,Shane Lomax

Referee: John Guinan(St Lachtains)


U-15 Roinn C


On an ideal night for hurling in Tom Walsh Park Blacks and Whites proved too strong for Slieverue in this Roinn C side League Championship game.

Blacks and whites started well and got on the scoreboard very early to lead at half time 3:07 v 0:05.  Slieverue through the brilliance of Ryan O Connell at wing forward and John Rellis at full forward looked dangerous all game and worked very hard. Both O Connell and Rellis finishing with 2 points each. In goal Tadhg Doherty was exceptional for Slieverue and pulled of some great saves all throughout the match.

For Blacks and Whites Eddie Doyle in goal was solid. Their backs stood tall with some great individual performances all over , none more so than Jack Kelly. At midfield they competed very well with Shane Phelan excellent all throughout the game.

The winning of the match was in the Blacks and Whites forwards where a number of the forwards got on the scoresheet, with Patrick Phelan finishing with 4:02

Full time::  B&W 7:10 v Slieverue 0:10

By Mary Morgan Wed 12th Aug

Related News

View All

Main Partners