Admin Login

Bord na nÓg – Week 4

By Mary Morgan Fri 9th Jul

Bord na nÓg – Week 4
Bord na nÓg – Week 4

Click below for a full report on Bord na nÓg activity by board PRO Pado Flynn for the last week.


Kilkenny Honda Centre Minor Hurling League Roinn B  Round 3:

Galmoy/Windgap 2-18​​Erin’s Own  2-14

These two sides served up a thrilling  and evenly balanced game in Canon Kearns Park on Monday evening, with the result in doubt right up to the final whistle. In Michael Brennan ,Erin’s Own had a true future star, who clocked up a total of 2-9 in this encounter, 0-4 from frees. Galmoy/Windgap on the other hand had Calum Lonergan at centre forward giving a display of strong tough determined play and winning some vital frees which spurred on his team mates.

It was 0-5 each at the first waterbreak, with five different players sharing the Galmoy/Windgap total thus far. Brennan had struck two over for Comer before they won a 9th minute penalty when full forward Evan Harding was bundled over inside the large parallelogram. With only Eoin O Shea to beat ,Michael Brennan’s hard shot rose over the cross bar and the visitors escaped with the minimum punishment. Erin’s Own pushed on after the sos uisce, with three points in succession ,one from Michael Brennan and two quickfire shots from the hard working John Kenny.Conor Doyle took a good pass from Calum Lonerganto halt the flow. A foul on Lonergan gave Niall Drennan the opportunity to point from a placed ball before Michael Brennan struck again, this time courtesy of a nice pass from his midfielder Joey Ryan.

With sturdy full back, James Kenny dominating for Erin’s Own ,Niall Drennan was moved to the edge of the square and he grabbed the next delivery to strike over his shoulder before Ronan O Brien levelled the game with a fine strike from the right hand side line,0-9 each. With 33 minutes played, Calum Lonergan was brought down en route to goal, resulting in a 30 metre free. With just two players manning the goal line, Niall Drennan spotted the gap and struck low and accurately to the left corner, to give Galmoy/Windgap a half time lead 1-9 to 0-9.

Colma Moloney deputised at full back for David Sherman and he had a tremendous battle all through with Comer full forward Evan Harding.

After the interval, the visitors squandered some chances as they struck three wides in quick succession, while Erin’s Own goalkeeper Shane Holden batted away a Killian Enright strike on goal. At the other end, Evan Harding was fouled after fielding a Michael Brennan delivery with Brennan converting the opportunity. Jack O Shea was now doing very well at centre back for the visitors aided well by Evan Doyle. Jack Comerford cleared alot of ball from the Comer defence where Eoghan Moore was doing his best to come to grips with Calum Lonergan.

In the 35th minute Billy Power had to work very hard before he won a 40 metre free which Niall Drennan put over. Calum Lonergan and Conor Doyle struck one apiece to leave Galmoy/Windgap ahead 1-12 to 0-11after 40 minutes. They then had a stroke of good fortune. As a Daniel Hanrahan shot from 50 metres lobbed into the Comer goal mouth, two defenders impeded each other and the sliotar went straight to the net ,2-12 to 0-11.

Erin’s Own didn’t throw in the towel however, and when Ewan Connery was fouled en-route to goal ,Michael Brennan converted. John Kenny followed suit after a Joey Ryan pass before Ewan Connery won Comer’s second penalty of the evening in the 49thminute. This time, Michael Brennan shot low and hard, but alert goalkeeper Eoin O Shea stood his ground ,saved the shot and from the resultant clearance, a three man move involving, Calum Lonergan and Billy Power saw Killian Enright split the posts at the other end.

Again , it was Michael Brennan who lead the response for the home side. Now operating from the full forward position, he fielded a high ball and struck low and true to the net, 2-13 to 1-13 after 51 minutes. Niall Drennan and Michael Brennan shared a brace of points before Brennan hit his second goal after some great pressure on the Galmoy/Windgap defence. Galmoy/Windgapfinished the stronger however with two fine strikes from Daniel Hanrahan and two more Niall Drennanfrees ,both resulting from fouls on Calum Lonergan.

James Purcell and Killian Enright also worked hard for the winners with Conor Brophy and Evan Harding doing their best for the hosts. Both sides lined out with six U-15 players on their starting fifteen.

Galmoy/Windgap: Eoin O Shea,Cian O Rourke,Colman Moloney,Jim Power,James Purcell, Jack O Shea, Evan Doyle,Billy Power,KillianEnright(0-2), Daniel Hanrahan(1-3),  CalumLonergan(0-2) ,Niall Drennan(1-7, 1-6 frees) , Ronan O Brien(0-1) ,Michael Freaney,Conor Doyle(0-3).

Subs Used: Noah O Shea for Michael Freaney 48 mins, John Dermody for Ronan O Brien 54 mins.

Erin’s Own:Shane Holden,Bobby Brennan,JamesKenny,Jack Comerford,Aaron Fanning,EoghanMoore, Conor Brophy,Darragh Normoyle,JoeyRyan,Michael Brennan(2-9,0-4 frees),MickieMaher,John Kenny(0-5),Ewan Connery,EvanHarding,Jake Connery

Sub:Cian Rothwell for Jake Connery 40 mins

Referee:Martin Murray(James Stephens)

On a pleasant sunny evening in Kilmacow, Barrow Rangers and Kilmacow went head to head in this U15 league match. Barrow Rangers got off to a strong start with goals from Niall Carpenter and Patrick Wade. Kilmacow then started scoring with frees from Eoin Aylward. The game remained fairly even from then upto half time with Barrow Rangers leading at the break 4-6 to 1-8. Kilmacow continued to push hard but strong defending from Patrick Purcell, Odhran O Keeffe, Eoin Delaney and Eoin Pendergast kept them out. Cain Scully was shown a second yellow for Barrow Rangers with 10 minutes remaining but Barrow Rangers held on to win 6-11 to 3-12

Mullinavat V Blacks & Whites U15 Roinn C League June30th

Mullinavat travelled to Blacks & Whites for the 3rd round of the U15 Roinn C League on Wednesday June 30th.

The first score of the game came from Mullinavat with a low score at the end of the first water break with 2 pts each following with a half time score of Mullinavat 3 pts, Blacks & Whites 4 pts.

The score at the second water break was Mullinavat 2-4 to Blacks & Whites 1-6. Blacks & Whites went ahead but a free in the last few seconds for Mullinavat ended in a goal which resulted in a draw game.

Both teams move onto the 4th round of the league.

Blacks & Whites: Charlie Orpen, Charlie Savage O Shea, Daniel Wade, Noah Langrell, Ross Phelan, Eddie Jnr Doyle, Owen Wade, Richard Doyle, Shane Phelan, Liam Ryan, Nicky Ryan, Alexander Langrell, TJ Caulfield, Danny Flynn, Bill Barron, Jack Duff, Larry Doyle, Callum Savage, Tomas Ryan, 

Mullinavat: Patrick Aylward, Jamie Dempsey, Michael Slattery, Ciaran Holden, Ben Cantwell, Seamus Rohan, Stephen O Shea, Michael Catt, Louis Madigan, Jamie Davis, Ross Conway, Luke O Donovan, Eoin Aylward, Kevin Prendergast, Jack Power, Sean O Keeffe, Aaron Aylward, Adam Fitzpatrick, Mickey Phelan, Jamie Walshe.


Duggan Steel U-15 Hurling League Roinn B Round 2:    23-6-2021

St Patricks  6-20​​Galmoy/Windgap  4-16

Galmoy/Windgap and St Patrick’s Ballyraggetcombined to produce an exciting ten goal thriller in this U-15 tie in Galmoy on Wednesday last June 23rd. St Patricks were definitely a stronger built side physically, with impressive players, Aaron Nealis,Josh Dowling ,Marc Bergin and the skilful Mark Doheny leading the way. For the home side Eoin O Shea,Conor Doyle,Niall Drennan and Conor Darcy brought the fight to the visitors all the way. Darcy ,the most improved player, had a great battle with Doheny all through, hooking and blocking the St Patricks forward on many vital occasions.

St Patrick’s had a great start when Marc Hogan sent a screamer to the roof of the net. In the 10th minute,Josh Dowling fielded an Aaron Nealis free on the edge of the square, turned and blasted home.Thehome side began to settle however, with a pointed free from Conor Doyle following a foul on PadraigEgan followed by a PJ Delaney shot which was deflected over the bar. Conor Doyle and FionnLonergan added points to leave it 2-1 to 0-4 at the first waterbreak.The recovery continued upon resumption with Conor Doyle taking a pass from Cian O Rourke and splitting the posts. Niall Drennanthen collected a P J Delaney pass and coming in from the right wing sent a 30 metre shot all the way to the net, to put Galmoy/Windgap in front in the 21stminute 1-5 to 2-1.

St Patricks now brought Josh Dowling out to centre forward with Marc Bergin going to the edge of the square in a bid to regain the initiative. The ploy worked, with Dowling setting up Marc Hogan for their third goal. The home reply came swiftly however, when Conor Doyle took a pop pass from P J Delaney and raised his side’s second green flag. Another goal from U-13 player John Power, saw Galmoy/Windgap take a commanding six point lead after 25 minutes,3-7 to 3-1.

St Patricks replied with a Mark Doheny free and two points from play from Marc Bergin. Doheny also added a neat point following a good solo. Niall Drennan set up Conor Doyle for a reply and Doyle followed up with another to leave the home side ahead 3-9 to 3-5 at the half time break, after a helter skelter first half.

For the new half, the visitors appeared to be extra determined and soon proved that, with an early Marc Hogan goal, his third of the evening. Marc Bergin followed up with another, after super work by Josh Dowling on the end line .Bergin and Dowling were now dominating up the middle of the Galmoy/Windgap defence and the home selectors swopped Darragh Doyle and Colman Moloney in a bid to restrict the marauding pair. The powerfully built Dowling, however,went on to strike a further 1-6 from play in a tremendous second half display which determined the final outcome of this encounter.

Conor Doyle hit two points from play .Niall Drennanthen set off on a 40 metre solo before striking to the Ballyragget net in the 41st minute. He followed up immediately with a point and with P J Delaney doing likewise, the score was 6-13 to 4-13 at the second waterbreak. Eoin O Shea at midfield for the home side was also working tirelessly at this stage with Cian O Rourke also beginning to have an influence.The visitors however, were strong enough to keep the advantage from here til the end. They will be grateful to their goalkeeper Oisín Troy who brought off at least three top class saves to deny Galmoy/Windgap in the closing stages. Indeed, he also stopped a 20 metre free from Niall Drennan in the 55th minute inspiring his side to pick off some late points per Christen Connick and Aaron Nealis.

St Patick’s:Oisín Troy,Ruairí Farrell,MichaelGlennon,Patrick Morrissey,Conor Rocliffe,AdamNealis(0-3),Kieran Bergin,Christian Delaney,ChristenConnick(0-2),Cormac Diver,Marc Bergin(1-4),Mark Doheny(0-4,0-1free),Marc Hogan(3-0),Josh Dowling(2-7),Cian Stapleton.

Galmoy/Windgap: Ryan Whelan, Jack O’Dwyer, Darragh Doyle, Alex Culleton , Conor Darcy, Colman Moloney, George Culleton, Eoin O’Shea,Cian O Rourke(0-1), Padraig Egan, Conor Doyle(1-9,0-1 free), Niall Drennan(2-3), P.J. Delaney(0-2), Fionn Lonergan(0-1),John Power(1-0).

Subs: Sam Moloney for Padraig Egan, Aidan O’Shea for Fionn Lonergan, Cormac Hynes for John Power,Edmond Power for Jack O Dwyer and Thomas Power for George Culleton




St Martin’s 4-11​​Galmoy/Windgap  5-5

The U-13 Hurling League campaign began in Galmoy on Friday last June 18th when St Martinswere the visitors. Fielding the first of two teams that they have entered this year, the boys in red and green appeared to be physically stronger than the Galmoy/Windgap squad, who had just 16 players togged.

Centreforward Luke McDonald was exceptionally physically imposing and he finished with a personal tally of 3-4, 2-4 from play. St Martins had two early points before John Power grabbed a Ryan Whelan delivery and opened the home account. In the 9thminute, Luke McDonald sent a 20 metre free screaming to the net and his second goal came in the 13th minute after a penetrating solo. St Martins lead 2-5 to 0-1 at the first waterbreak, so the Galmoy/Windgap selectors made some alterations to their lineout.

Jack O Dwyer went to full back with Aidan O Shea moving out to midfield. Jack Egan took up position at centre back with Ryan Whelan moving to wing forward. The move brought Aidan O Shea more in to the game and it was his clever pass in the 25th minute that set up John Power to strike a good goal. O Shea followed up with a pointed 65 and the half time score was St Martins 2-7 Galmoy/Windgap 1-2.

For the new half, Galmoy/Windgap brought goalkeeper Dara Enright to left half back with MikeySaunders now manning the posts. Luke McDonald had an early point for the visitors before the hosts enjoyed a good spell. In the 33rd minute John Power set off on a 30 metre solo from the right wing before slamming past Colum Quinlan in the opposing goal.Aidan O Shea and Tadhg Kennedy tacked on a point each and suddenly the deficit was back to four points, 2-8 to 2-4.

A point each from Daniel Fahey and EoinMcCormack stretched the lead again, before a push on Ryan Whelan yielded a free which Aidan O Shea converted. Almost immediately off the puckout, Jack Stapleton brilliantly fielded a high delivery and turned to strike St Martins’ third goal of the evening.In a twinkling, the net shook at the opposing end.This time,Tadhg Kennedy delicately flicked the sliotar into the path of John Power who registered his third green flag and left it 3-10 to 3-5 at the second waterbreak.

Luke McDonald added a minor before Galmoy/Windgap replied again. A long free in by Aidan O Shea was kicked to the Martins’ net by Tadhg Kennedy with ten minutes remaining.Galmoy/Windgap put in a huge effort in that closing quarter ,as both sides introduced a sub each. Their efforts were thwarted somewhat in the 56th minute when, that man McDonald again, unleashed an unstoppable shot to the net for the final score for his side. The home side never gave up and wererewarded when after a goalmouth melee, it was substitute Cathal Barron who struck home the fifth Galmoy/Windgap goal of the hour.

All in all , a most intriguing clash with St Martin’s deservedly edging it in the end. They had good performances from Geoff Dooley who was very consistent, Daniel Talus, Jack Stapleton, DanielFahey and of course Luke McDonald. Apart from the scorers, Jack Egan, Jack O Dwyer and Conor Power also tried hard for Galmoy/Windgap.

St Martin’s:Colum Quinlan,Jamie O Dwyer,RoryMoore,Dean Cadigan,Geoff Dooley,CormacDowling,Lorcan Cummins,Charlie Ryan,Daniel Talus(0-1),Darragh Walsh,Luke McDonald(3-4),Eoin McCormack(0-2),Jack Stapleton(0-2),Darragh Butler,Daniel Fahey(1-2).

Sub: Ted Healy for Darragh Butler 55 mins

Galmoy/Windgap:Dara Enright,DaraHoulihan,Aidan O Shea(0-3,0-2frees),Frankie Dollard,Aidan Doyle,Jack O Dwyer,MikeySaunders,Conor Power,Ryan Whelan, John Power(3-1),Tadhg Kennedy(1-1), Jack Egan,ShaneDoyle,Alyn Hearne,Joe Moloney.

Sub: Cathal Barron(1-0) for Shane Doyle 56 mins.

Referee: Owen Beehan (Fenians)

You may have noticed this week’s Bord na nOg report is a little smaller than usual – that is due to all games being called off on Friday 2nd July as a mark of respect of our dearly departed Oliver Roche, Registrar of Coiste na nOg. It would be remiss of me not to at least try and put some words on how much affection we had for the man known to us as Ollie. He has served on the Bord since 2013 and had become a great friend to us all. His love of GAA knew no bounds bar the apple tart and cuppa he craved after many late night meetings in the ‘Park going through the fixtures or the grading or whatever maybe that weeks quandary was. On our last teams call he was looking forward to having the championship draw in the park where we could all meet up together again. Ollie was never flustered, a gentleman, a family man and a passionate Gael. He took great joy in the strides Carrickshock had made in the last few years at underage level and in winning the U-13 championship a couple of weeks ago. These are a few simple words that will never truly reflect the lasting impression he made on us all. May he rest in peace.

By Mary Morgan Fri 9th Jul

Related News

View All

Main Partners