Admin Login

2021 Championship – Junior A – F Quarterfinals

By John Power Sat 21st Aug

2021 Championship – Junior A – F Quarterfinals
2021 Championship – Junior A – F Quarterfinals

The Junior A to F Championship quarterfinals took place over the weekend of the 13th – 16th August and we had some great match-ups across all grades.


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior A Hurling Championship

Tullaroan 2-12  Dunnamaggin 3-15

Tullaroan v. Dunnamaggin Junior A Championship Quarterfinal (photo courtesy of Dunnamaggin GAA)

Dunnamaggin and Tullaroan went toe to toe in the Junior A quarterfinal in Tullaroan on Saturday 14th August.  Kilkenny legend Tommy Walsh opened the scoring with a point and both sides traded points until the 20th minute when Anthony Kearney finished to the net after good work from Peter Kennelly to put Dunnamaggin 1-03 to 0-03 ahead.  Bill Mc Cormack added a point from a free to extend the lead but it was short lived when Paul Buggy got a good goal from play for Tullaroan.  Although players struggled with the slippy conditions underfoot at times, this was turning out to be a keenly contested encounter.  As we headed for half time break Dunnamaggin added four points in a row, three from Bill McCormack on the frees and one from play from Peter Kenneally to one from Tommy Walsh from play to send the sides in at halftime Dunnamaggin 1-08 Tullaroan 1-04.

The third quarter saw nearly a score a minute with 11 scores, six points for Tullaroan and 1-4 for Dunnamaggin, Anthony Kearney hitting the back of the net after Denis Walsh fed the ball across the end line.  Tullaroan and Dunnamaggin were hurling freely at this point but Tullaroan just could not drag back the lead established by Dunnamaggin at half time.  As we headed into the last 10 minutes of the game, Dunnamaggin got a third goal through Adam Fitzpatrick after his brother Luke broke through, drew the defenders and passed it to him.  Tullaroan did not give up and fought back to get another goal of their own through none other than Tommy Walsh but Dunnamaggin pushed on to see the game out with a free from Bill McCormack and a point from play from Adam Fitzpatrick.  FT Dunnamaggin 3-15 Tullaroan 2-12


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior A Hurling Championship

O’Loughlin Gaels 1-19  Carrickshock 2-17

O’Loughlin Gaels v. Carricshock – Junior A Championship Quarterfinal (photo courtesy of Carrickshock GAA)


The sizeable crowd in St. John’s Park on Saturday afternoon last, 14th August, were treated to a rip-roaring contest between two very evenly matched teams.  The opening 10 minutes gave an indication of what was to come: six excellent points came from play, three from Carrickshock’s John Power (Lismatigue) and  one each for Niall Higgins, Matthew Russell and Tervine Wallace at the other end.  Then what was probably the score of the game came when Carrickshock’s Barry Lennon played a low ball in to Kieran Conway, he showed the deftest of touches to turn his man and popped it over the keeper to the net.  It helped nudge Carrickshock in front at the 1firstst water break, 1-4 to 0-6.  On the 20 minute mark, some last ditch defending by Carrickshock’s goalkeeper Richie Power and full-back Oisin Carroll looked to have kept the ball out of the net, but John Doyle never gave up on it and forced the ball home to restore the O’Loughlin Gaels lead, 1-7 to 1-5.  The Gaels were finding their scores easier now, and some fine efforts from play by Matthew Russell, John McNamara and Billy Leydon helped them to a 1-10 to 1-7 half-time lead.

Richie Power defending the Carrickshock goal (photo courtesy of Carrickshock GAA)


After the restart, playing into the slight breeze, O’Loughlin’s continued where they’d left off.  Billy Leydon, who was a constant thorn in the Carrickshock side, opened with a fine brace, and by the time Niall Higgins pointed from distance on 36 minutes, they now held a commanding lead, 1-14 to 1-7.  With sharpshooter John Power (Lismatigue) now off injured, the Carrickshock support wondered where the scores were going to come from to drag them back into this contest.  Up steps Jamie Power!  He went on a blitz of five points before the 2nd water break, three of them from play, to bring it back to a one score game, 1-17 to 1-14.  Now the rest of Carrickshock attack joined the fray, and when Aaron Roche marked his return to the Carrickshock jersey with a point from the tightest of angles, it left the minimum between them.  With 5 minutes left, the Shocks forwards’ sheer tenacity helped the ball in to that man Kieran Conway inside the danger zone again.  This time he turned provider and found Padraig Lennon, whose fine ground strike hit the net to put the Shocks back in front, 2-16 to 1-18.  A couple more points were traded to see Carrickshock victorious on a final score of 2-17 to 1-19, overturning the result at the same stage last year, and moving on to a semi-final next weekend against Mooncoin.

Carrickshock: Richie Power, Jamie Barron, Oisin Carroll, Eddie Dunphy, Chris Price, Shane Power, Luke Hudson, Aaron O Neill, Padraig Lennon (1-0), Barry Lennon (0-2), John Power (Lismatigue) (0-4), Sean Grace, Kieran Conway (1-1), Jamie Power (0-9, 0-5f), Shane Fennelly.  Subs: Jack McGuirk, Aaron Roche (0-1), Rory Doyle.

O’Loughlin Gaels: Jamie Kirwan, Jack Kearns, Andy Cantwell, Padraig Nolan, Ronan Buckley, Ben Leydon, Donal O’Leary, Niall Higgins (0-2), John McNamara (0-2), Matthew Russell (0-3), Joe Murphy, Tervine Wallace (0-1), Jack Sheridan , Ryan Poyntz, Billy Leydon (0-11, 0-7f).  Subs: John Doyle (1-0), Ben Tyrrell, Peter McNamara, Daniel Bolger.

Referee: Gay Rafter


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior B Hurling Championship

James Stephens 1-23  Bennettsbridge 2-22

The JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior B league championship quarter final between Bennettsbridge and James Stephens took place last Saturday 14th August on a dull and miserable afternoon in Larchfield.  Despite the slippery underfoot conditions the two teams provided a very exciting game of hurling.  The first half was very evenly contested with the Bridge raising the first green flag of the game after some good build up play.  The Village men had a bit of a run on the Bridge defenders in the first half with a lot of frees being awarded to the James Stephens side with seven points coming from placed balls of their 0-09 first half score and likewise for the Bridge with a lot of their 1-07 half time score coming from frees.

With just the minimum between the sides at half time the Village men took control of the third quarter outscoring the Bridge 1-06 to four points giving James Stephens a four point lead heading into the last quarter.  The final quarter provided great drama.  There was some great fielding throughout the game and very well worked moves by both sets of players.  The Village men seemed to have the Bridge at arm’s length but some great determination from the Bridge players ensured that the scoreboard remained ticking till the final whistle.  There was a delay in proceedings due to an injury to one of the Village players and with two minutes of normal time remaining the Bridge were trailing by two points.  When play resumed the Bridge midfielders came away with a breaking ball and worked the ball up to the full forward Patrick O Neill and he did the rest and stuck the ball in the onion sack to put the Bridge one point ahead which sparked great celebrations from the subs, mentors and the Bridge supporters.  There was one more play left for the Village men to seek a draw or win and they duly got that from a free that was awarded and the free was converted and the full time whistle blew with the two teams level, Bennettsbridge 2-15 James Stephens 1-18.

The game went to extra time with two ten minute halves.  Conditions were starting to take their toll on both sides with fresh legs being needed and in fairness both sides need to be commended for their fitness levels.  The Bridge started the better in the first period of extra time outscoring the Village four points to one giving them a lead of three points heading into the second period of extra time.  The Village had another purple patch in this ten minute spell and brought the game back to the minimum with only a couple of minutes left.  James Stephens had a great chance to score an all important goal at the end but only for a great save by the Bridge goalkeeper Ben King with the ball being cleared off the line by tenacious corner back Tom Bolger, the Bridge cleared their lines and launched the ball up to the forwards where the industrious Patrick O Neill got the ball and put it over the bar to put two points back between the sides going into injury time.  There was little time for much more action and when the ball was won in a ruck by the Bridge men the ball was cleared and the referee blew the final whistle with Bennettsbridge winning the quarter final on a scoreline of Bennettsbridge 2-22 James Stephens 1-23.  A very good game and a special mention must go to the two free takers of both teams, Kevin Brennan of Bennettsbridge scoring 16 points and Ryan Scanlon of James Stephens scoring 15 points and apart from the free taking both players were pivotal players for their teams throughout the contest.  Next up for Bennettsbridge is a home semi-final on Sunday 22nd August at 12pm against Conahy Shamrocks which will be another tough match.

Bennettsbridge: Ben King, Paul O Neill, Mikey Lewis, Tom Bolger, Daniel Murphy, Eoin Stapleton, Luke Dowling (0-2), Shane Byrne, Kevin Brennan, vice-captain (0-16), Stephen Holden (0-2), Patrick O Neill (2-1), Myles McGovern, Harry Murphy, Barry Lennon, Ivan Kelly (0-1).  Subs: Kyran O’Sullivan, Laurence Mahon.

James Stephens: James Kelly Trant, Liam Fennelly, Shane Murphy, Adam O Connor, Sean Ruth, Donal O’Keeffe, John Comerford, James Dwyer, Michael Kennedy (0-2), Sean Walsh (1-0), Jamie O’Keeffe, Ryan Scanlon (0-15), Shane Guilfoyle ( 0-1), Tommy Walton (0-3) David McCormack (0-1).  Subs: Paddy Kennedy, Sean McKee, Aaron Dorney, Evan Buggy.


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior B Hurling Championship

 St Lachtain’s 2-17  Glenmore 1-15

St Lachtain’s and Glenmore met in their quarterfinal encounter on Saturday evening last, 14th August, in Freshford.  A close game throughout was decided by a strong final 15 minutes from St Lachtain’s as they turned around a three point deficit at the second half water break to win out by five points in the end.

The game came to life in the second half as the first half struggled with wides coming from both sides.  The first half saw St Lachtain’s a point up 1-6 to 1-5.  Both teams found their scoring form in the second half with free takers Cathal O’Leary and Billy Reid finding the target.  A strong final 15 minutes from the Freshford men was the difference with a decisive goal from Patrick Killeen the major score in the end to add to good points from Padraig Donnelly, Cathal O’Leary and Cian Dawson.  FT St Lachtain’s 2-17 Glenmore 1-15.

St Lachtain’s: Jordan Burke, Michael Burke, Lachtain Kennedy, Michael Kavanagh, Paul White, Jack Cleere, Cormac Rafter, Padraig Donnelly, Cathal O’Leary, Allie Rafter, Patrick Killeen, Barry Hughes, John Campion, Alan Rafter, Cian Dawson.

Referee: Sean McMahon


Iverk Produce Junior C Hurling Championship

Cloneen 2-11  Windgap 3-15

Windgap emerged as seven point winners in an enjoyable and hugely competitive Junior C championship quarter final battle in Cloneen last Sunday, August 15th, with a scoring burst after the second half water break proving pivotal to the final outcome.  The final scoreline did not reflect the closeness of the exchanges throughout the match as Cloneen battled proudly all the way to the final whistle but the two goal scoring burst at the three quarter mark proved their undoing.

Windgap settled the quicker of the two teams from the start but struggled to convert initial chances; however points from two Michael Power frees did give them an early advantage.  Cloneen gradually settled and scores from Kyle Dunne and frees from Michael Doyle and goalkeeper Gary Delaney kept them well in the game.  Further scores from Doyle and Padraig Cooney saw them lead by 0-5 to 0-4 by the 20th minute.  Windgap did hit a three point scoring burst with points from the impressive Jack Doyle, Peter Hennessy and Michael Power to edge them 0-8 to 0-6 clear by the 26th minute but this work was undone moments later when a long ball from the impressive Michael Doyle ended in the Windgap net.  A further point from Breanainn Buggy move Cloneen 1-8 to 0-9 clear at the half time break.

Windgap had the benefit of the slight breeze for the second half and received a major boost at the resumption when a great passing move created space for Blade O’Gorman to fire to the Cloneen net.  Another fine point from Jack Doyle pushed them two clear but Cloneen redoubled their efforts and two scores from Michael Doyle drew the sides level at 1-10 each at the three quarter mark.  Exchanges were hard and fair at this point as both sides pushed for and advantage and the introduction of substitute Ger Purcell helped turn the game in Windgap’s favour at this time – he firstly set up Adam O’Shea for a smart point and then won a crucial penalty which was expertly converted by Michael Power.  Power then added a further goal shortly afterwards and while Cloneen battled hard to the finish and did reduce the arrears with a Michael Doyle goal from a free, the gap created by the two goal burst ultimately saw Windgap through.  Best for the winners were Eoin Cody, Sean Purcell and Conor Lonergan in defence, Jack Doyle at midfield, while in attack, Josh Price, Michael Power and Adam O Shea played well.  Cloneen gave it their all and best for them on the day were Gary Delaney, Philip Roche, Ronan Walsh, and Michael Doyle.

Windgap: Peter Landy, Sean Barron, James Mackey, Darren Walsh, Eoin Cody, Sean Purcell, Conor Lonergan, Jack Doyle (0-5, 0-2 Frees), Peter Hennessy (0-1), Josh Price (0-1), Michael Power (2-7, 1-4f), Zac Kennedy, Gary Lyons, Adam O’Shea (0-1), Blade O’Gorman (1-0). Subs: Vincent Purcell, Ger Purcell, Tommy Fleming.

Cloneen: Gary Delaney (0-1f), John Kelly, Philip Roche, Shane Buggy, Conor Delaney, Dara Delaney, Ronan Walsh, Michael Doyle (2-6, 1-4f), Keylin Brennan, Aidan Barry, Shane Dunne, Kyle Dunne (0-2), Cathal Barry, Padraig Cooney (0-1), Breanainn Buggy (0-1). Subs: Kevin Phillips, Eoghan Hennessy.


Iverk Produce Junior C Hurling Championship

Piltown 2-22  Galmoy 2-14

Having built up an early lead, Piltown withstood a strong second half showing from Galmoy to advance to the semi-final of the Junior C Championship, following this well contested clash in Piltown on Saturday evening.  With a constant drizzle throughout, this encounter became an endurance test for both sets of players.

It was Piltown who settled the quicker with six unanswered points on the board by the 8th minute.  They might have netted a goal also, but for a tremendous save by Phil Brennan from a  low shot by Piltown’s best forward, nineteen year old Daryl Maye.  The fact that five different players shared those six points was an indicator of their early dominance.

An 11th minute foul on Eddie Kelly gave Tom Phelan the opportunity to open Galmoy’s account from a placed ball with Phelan following up immediately with one from play.  Sean Phelan put over a 65 and the deficit was halved.  Mícheál Dunne and Seamus Norris added one each to give Piltown an 0-8 to 0-3 lead at the first water break.  That lead was further extended with five successive Piltown points, four from Daryl Maye frees.  They also hit a 21st minute goal when a searing solo by Aidan Walsh culminated in Maye striking to the Galmoy net from close range.  A point from Sean Phelan and two Eddie Kelly frees saw Galmoy trail at the half time break 1-16 to 0-6.

In fairness to the visitors, they upped their game after the interval.  A foul on the hardworking Patrick Doyle saw Sean Phelan split the posts.  When Dylan Grace won a 33rd minute free, Phelan addressed the sliotar once more.  This time, however, his quick thinking resulted in a short free to the unmarked Eddie Kelly whose shot across the goal nestled in the Piltown net, 1-16 to 1-7. This score gave Galmoy a sliver of hope.  Tom Phelan added another from play following a Sean Phelan pass.  With Frank Phelan, Patrick Doyle and Joe Dollard defending well, they began to get some reward for their efforts and won five second half frees, four of which were converted by Sean Phelan.

Piltown never relented though and with Declan Duggan, Tom Kenny and Niall Kinsella playing very well at the back, they provided the ammunition for an energetic forward unit.  An impressive passing move up the left wing finished with Aidan Walsh ghosting in from the right to rattle the Galmoy net in the 35th minute, and that score gave Piltown a safe cushion for the remainder of the tie.  In the 58th minute, after some earnest attacking, Galmoy won a penalty.  Eddie Kelly struck to the net but was then ordered to retake the shot and duly obliged with the same result.  Galmoy had the final say when Sean Phelan pointed from midfield, but Piltown deservedly advanced to a meeting with their neighbours Windgap in the semi-final.

Piltown: Conor Friend, Eoin Morgan, Michael O Dwyer, Tom Kenny, Declan Duggan (0-1), Niall Kinsella, Aidan Friend, Neil Moriarty (0-1), Sean O Neill (0-1), Aidan Walsh (1-1), Seamus Norris (0-3), Conor McGowan, Daryl Maye(1-11,0-8f), Shane Kinsella (0-1), Mícheál Dunne (0-2).  Subs: Eddie Brennan (0-1) for Shane Kinsella 47 mins, James Kirby for Aidan Friend 49 mins, Tom Reid for Eoin Morgan 49 mins.

Galmoy: Phil Brennan, Colm Smith, Jack Delaney, Joe Dollard, Brian Kelly, Patrick Doyle, Frank Phelan, Matt Delaney, Sean Phelan (0-8, 0-6f), Dylan Grace, Tom Phelan (0-3, 0-1f), Odhrán Moloney, Mícheál Phelan, Eddie Kelly (2-3, 1-3f), Eoin Glendon.

Referee: Gavin Quilty (Slieverue)


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior E Hurling Championship

Erin’s Own 2-22  Graigue Ballycallan 5-11

Erin’s Own Junior E Panel (photo courtesy of Marie Therese Comerford)

Erin’s Own faced Graigue Ballycallan in the JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior E Championship Quarter Final in Castlecomer on Monday 16th August.  Many people associate Junior E with many players in the twilight of their career however, with the odd exception this Erin’s Own team is anything but that and their youthfulness was to prove a factor in the closing stages.

Two frees from Shane Coogan and a Joe Canningesque sideline ball from Rian Holden put three points on the board early on for Erin’s Own.  A stunning long range bullet from full forward Sean Coogan found the top corner of the net and the sides took their first water break level at 1-3 each.  The second quarter proved a bit more challenging for the hosts as the visitors raised two green flags.  However, the Comer lads never dropped their heads and dug deep.  A switch to centre forward for Sean Coogan was proving successful as Comer added seven points during the quarter.  The pick of those coming from Sean Coogan who reached to the clouds to catch a puck out of pinpoint accuracy from Cathal Murphy before turning and drilling the ball over the black spot from 65 yards.

Despite their effort Erin’s Own trailed at half time 3-6 to 1-10.  Whatever manager Joe Meagher said at half time seemed to work especially in defence who tightened up and held Graigue to just 1-1 while the Comer forwards added 1-9.  Positive distribution on a number of occasions from centre back Shane Rice created an ideal platform for the midfielders and forwards to kick on.  The industrious Martin Walsh raised a white flag after a fine pass from Rian Holden.  Just before the second water break Jamie Maher pounced on a loose ball to quickly get it in his hand batted the ball past the onrushing keeper.

Tommy Coogan collects a pass from Shane Coogan (picture courtesy of Marie Therese Comerford)

At the water break Erin’s Own had turned a two point deficit to a four point lead.  The final quarter was a real battle but youth played a big part for Erin’s Own.  In particular Adam Brennan who scored two points asserted a bigger influence as his non-stop running proved a thorn in the side of the visitors.  Ballycallan always carried a goal threat and found the net in the closing stages to ensure a tense finish.  However a number of frees from the ever accurate Shane Coogan and a 65 from Rian Holden ensured Comer came out on top by two points on a scoreline of 2-22 to 5-11.

Erin’s Own: Cathal Murphy, Dara O’Rourke, Sean Dwyer, Joe Meagher, James McDonald, Sahne Rice, Cathal O’Reilly, Adam Brennan (0-2), Martin Walsh (0-1), Ashley Kerr, Rian Holden (0-3, sideline, free, 65), Shane Coogan (0-9, 0-7f), Ciarán Meagher, Sean Coogan (1-3), Jamie Maher (1-3).  Subs: Johnny Brennan, Tommy Coogan (0-1).

Referee: Anthony Barcoe

By John Power Sat 21st Aug

Related News

View All

Main Partners