Admin Login

Junior A – F Championship – 1st Round Action

By John Power Fri 6th Aug

Junior A – F Championship – 1st Round Action
Junior A – F Championship – 1st Round Action

The Junior A to F Championship is now in full swing, having kicked off this past weekend with the opening rounds across all grades.


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior A Hurling Championship

Carrickshock 1-21  Mullinavat 0-12

Carrickshock welcomed Mullinavat to Hugginstown for round 1 of the Junior A hurling championship last Saturday the 31st July.  Mullinavat got off to a flying start and had 1-1 on the board after a Bill Dempsey goal and looked to have the Carrickshock full-back line in trouble.  But the Carrickshock backs started to get to grips and they had levelled things 0-6 to 1-3 by the first water break.  Carrickshock now started to get on top around the middle third and had edged in front 0-11 to 1-6 by half time.

After the restart Carrickshock really started to dominate. When Jamie Power finished off a well worked move to the net after 15 minutes, it opened up a 10 point lead, 1-17 to 1-7.  Mullinavat did create chances during this spell but a combination of poor wides and resolute defending from Carrickshock left them with no way back into the game.  Their lead was never under threat, and it was a comfortable victory in the end, 1-21 to 0-12.

Carrickshock: Richie Power, Jamie Barron, Oisin Carroll, Eddie Dunphy, Aaron O Neill, Shane Power, Luke Hudson, Sean Grace, Padraig Lennon (0-3), Barry Lennon (0-2), John Power (Lismatigue) (0-3, 0-1f, 0-1 65), John Dalton (0-1), Kieran Conway, Jamie Power (1-11, 0-7f), Shane Fennelly (0-1).  Sub: Rory Doyle for Kieran Conway 50 min.

Mullinavat: Sean Fitzpatrick, Eoin Maher, David Maher, Michael Walsh, Damien Aylward, Brian Phelan, Ian Mansfield, Conor Duggan, Darren Kenneally (0-1), Joe Gahan, George O’Connor (0-7, 0-5f), Bill Dempsey, Robin Davis (0-4), Jack Walsh, Conor Walsh.  Sub: Mikey Jones for Conor Duggan 30 min, Luke Byrne Doyle for Robin Davis 55 min.

Referee: Julian O’Dwyer


JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior B Hurling Championship

 Conahy Shamrocks 1-19  St Lachtain’s 3-14

The Conahy Shamrocks Junior B hurlers came up short by the narrowest of margin when losing in the first round of the championship to neighbours St. Lachtain’s in the Polo Grounds, Jenkinstown on Saturday 31st July.

Despite a good start by the home side with points from Thomas Rice (2) and a Mark Gunner free, St. Lachtain’s took a firm grip on the game after they scored a goal from a penalty on seven minutes when an attacker was hauled to the ground close to goal.  They would have scored another goal three minutes later but for a brilliant save by Andy O’Keeffe in the Conahy goal.  Conahy’s scoring dried up after that early point-scoring and they had to wait until close to the first water-break for another Mark Gunner pointed free.  By that stage St. Lachtain’s led 1-4 to 0-4.

St. Lachtain’s really stepped up their performance in the second quarter scoring some fine points from distance.  Conahy did not help their cause by missing clear goal and point scoring opportunities as the game ebbed towards the interval.  St. Lachtain’s capitalised on those misses scoring 2-1 without reply in a two-minute spell.  Defensive lapses were punished by a smart St. Lachtain’s defence and although Mark Gunner pointed another Conahy free on the stroke of half-time, it was the Freshford side that lead 3-9 to 0-7 at the break leaving Conahy Shamrocks with a sizeable task in the second half.

The home side had wind advantage in that second half, while the introduction of subs Paddy Mullan and Eoin Carroll strengthened the Conahy Shamrocks challenge.  The home side played with far more determination in the second half and some fine point-taking saw them slowly reduce the St. Lachtain’s lead.  Five points without reply from the home side’s Thomas Rice (2) and three Mark Gunner frees brought the margin back to a goal.

St. Lachtain’s steadied and slotted over a point to push the margin back out to four points with time almost up.  Incessant pressure from the home side forced a sixty-five and when Mark Gunner’s delivery ended up in the back of the net, an unlikely win for the home side looked possible.

Time, though, was not on Conahy’s side and they were left to rue a number of first half lapses which ultimately cost them the game. The second half was encouraging for Conahy Shamrocks and the side will have another opportunity to stay in the championship through the back-door route.

Conahy Shamrocks: Andy O’Keeffe, John Paul Gamble, Paraic Gunner, Ciaran Rice, Darren Cuddihy, Frank Gunner, Sean O’Dornan, Mark Gunner (1-10), Jack Murphy, Geoffrey O’Shea, Sean Brennan (0-2), Harry O’Mahony, Thomas Rice (0-6), Gary Dunne, Bill Murphy (0-1).  Subs: Paddy Mullan and Eoin Carroll.

St Lachtain’s:  Jordan Burke, Michael Kavanagh Lachtain Kennedy, Michael Burke, Paul White, Jack Cleere, Cormac Rafter, Cathal O’Leary, Pádraig Donnelly, Allie Rafter, Patrick Killeen, Barry Hughes, Alan Rafter, Cian Dawson, John Campion.

Referee: Owen Beehan


Iverk Produce Junior C Hurling Championship

Windgap 4-18 John Lockes 1-7

Windgap had a comfortable victory over John Lockes in the first round of the Junior C championship in Windgap last Friday evening.  The winners made a fast start in the opening quarter and the result was never in any doubt although the Callan team battled gamely to the finish.

A goal in the opening minute from Gary Lyons who reacted first to a breaking ball got Windgap up and running and points from the lively Blade O’Gorman and Zac Kennedy saw them move 1-2 to 0-1 ahead by the 10th minute with Darragh Bergin replying for John Lockes.  A further well taken goal from Blade O’Gorman pushed them further clear and although Seamus Bergin replied shortly afterwards with a well taken goal, Windgap added further goals before half-time from Michael Power and Gary Lyons to effectively end the game as a contest – Windgap 4-8 to John Lockes 1-7 at half time.  The second half became a bit of a formality with the result secured and Windgap added ten further points from Michael Power, Josh Price, Sean Purcell, Zac Kennedy and Tommy Fleming.  John Lockes added further points through Darragh Bergin and Seamus Bergin but were largely unable to make inroads into a well marshalled Windgap defence.  Best for the winners were James Mackey, Shane Walsh and Sean Purcell in defence while in attack, Michael Power, Adam O’Shea and the full forward line of Blade O’Gorman, Gary Lyons and Zan Kennedy performed well.  John Lockes were well served by Graham Gohery, Darragh Lyons and Seamus Bergin.

Windgap: Peter Landy, James Mackey, Shane Walsh, Darrah Walsh, Sean Barron, Sean Purcell, Conor Lonergan, Eoin Cody, Peter Hennessy, Josh Price, Michael Power, Adam O’Shea, Blade O’Gorman, Gary Lyons, Zac Kennedy. Subs: Ger Purcell, Tommy Fleming, Karl McCoy, Vincent Purcell, and Killian Doyle.

John Lockes: DJ Bergin, John Moloney, Ben Canavan, David Phelan, Evan Doyle, Graham Gohery, Stephen Bergin, Adam O’Sullivan, Stephen Kiely, TJ Tierney, Darragh Bergin, John O’Brien, Jack Canavan, Seamus Bergin, Paddy Brennan, Alan Bergin, Ben Canavan, Eoghan Fahey, Richie Grace, Jack Ryan.

Referee: Maurice Flynn


Iverk Produce Junior C Hurling Championship

Graignamanagh 2-13  Piltown 5-18

Piltown travelled to Graignamanagh on Sunday 1st August for their round 1 championship encounter.  Graignamanagh were first out of the blocks in front of a nice home crowd with an impressive 1-3 in the first six minutes with scores coming from Eddie Walsh (2) and Charlie Murphy and the goal from Sean Holden before Piltown raised the white flag with a Daryl Maye pointed free in the seventh minute.  However, Piltown soon found their rhythm and by the water break had added 1-5 to their tally with some impressive play with the first of five Piltown goals coming from Micheál Dunne and points from Sean O’Neill and Daryl Maye (4) to lead in the first quarter by 1-6 to 1-4.  A brace of points from both teams kept the scoreboard ticking over and at halftime, Piltown had retained their two-point advantage and were leading 1-10 to 1-8.

Piltown pushed on in the second half and were impressive all over the pitch.  Eddie Walsh for Graignamanagh opened the second half scoring with a fine point.  However, Piltown again took control of the game and racked up 2-2, the goals coming from Daryl Maye and Conor McGowan, before a high ball in from midfield ended up in the back of the Piltown net in the 43rd minute.  Eddie Brennan raised the green flag right before the water break, giving Piltown a comfortable 10 point advantage going into the last quarter.  Another Daryl May goal shortly after the restart sealed the win for Piltown.

The home side fought hard and mounted a number of attacks but the Piltown defence, led by keeper Conor Friend and fullback Tom Kenny, dealt with any threats that came their way.  Captain Seamus Norris led by example and with three points to his name, he was also instrumental in setting up a number of the Piltown scores.

Graignamanagh: Kian Murphy, Sam O’Brien, Jack Ryan, Stephen Foley, Sean Walsh, Diarmuid O’Neill, Jim O’Donnell, Adam Kennedy, Thomas O’Donnell (0-1), Seamus Lanigan, Eddie Walsh (0-5, 0-3f), Adrian Doyle (0-1), Ryan Kielthy (1-0), Sean Holden (1-4, 0-1f), Charlie Murphy (0-1).  Subs: Michael O’Neill for Sam O’Brien, Jack Kennedy (0-1) for Charlie Murphy, Thomas O’Neill for Seamus Lanigan.

Piltown: Conor Friend, Eoin Morgan, Tom Kenny, Tom Reid, James Kirby, Declan Duggan, Aidan Friend, Neil Moriarty (0-1), Sean O’Neill (0-1), Aidan Walsh, Seamus Norris (0-3), Conor McGowan (1-0), Daryl Maye (2-12, 0-9f), Eddie Brennan (1-0), Micheál Dunne (1-1).  Sub: David Kinsella for Aidan Walsh.

Referee: John Bennett


Country Style Foods Junior D Hurling Championship

 Kilmacow 1-22  Barrow Rangers 1-13

Sunday afternoon saw the 1st round of the Country Style Foods Junior D Hurling Championship take place between Kilmacow and Barrow Rangers in Kilmacow Sports Complex.  The game was tight and scrappy at times but both teams showed patches of good play with some very well taken scores.  Barrow Rangers opened the scoring inside the first minute with a point from play from mid-fielder Liam Hogan, Kilmacow answered back with a third minute point from play from Shane Gaule.  Alan Murphy gave Kilmacow the lead after six minutes from a free, this was answered directly from the puck out with a Eugene Kealy point from play.  The teams exchanged scores over the next few minutes, Donagh Meyler and Alan Murphy with 2 for Kilmacow and John Kearney with 1 for Barrow Rangers.

The defining moment of the first half came on 12 minutes, a long ball was sent into the left corner where Alan Murphy picked it up.  He carried the ball along the end line and finished smartly to the roof of the net, Kilmacow would not relinquish the lead from this point on.  Barrow Rangers answered back with 2 points, the first from a free by Conor Hanlon and a long-range effort from center back Tom Brophy on 22 minutes. For the remainder of the first half Kilmacow would out score the visitors by 5 points to 3, Alan Murphy (2) and Paddy O’Keefe (3) doing the damage for the home team.  Barrow Rangers scores coming from Conor Dermody (2) and another free from Conor Hanlon.  This left the half time score Kilmacow 1-10 Barrow Rangers 0-8.

The second half began much like the first with both teams exchanging scores, Murphy and O’Keeffe added 2 points from Kilmacow inside the first two minutes.  Barrow Rangers answering back with 2 points from Conor O’Hanlon (f) and Eoghan Hogan.  The sides then went point for point over the next few minutes, Kilmacow with 3 points and Barrow Rangers with 2. On 16 minutes the game would be turned on its head, Kilmacow were leading by 6 points when a long ball dropped in the square.  There was a scramble for possession and with the Kilmacow defense unable to clear Eoghan Hogan scrambled the ball home to get the Barrow Rangers men back to within 3 points.  This led to a nervy couple of minutes, but Kilmacow steadied the ship with points from Murphy again and Tom Butler on 26 minutes.

From there to the end the Kilmacow men took hold of the game outscoring their opponents 5 points to 1. The points from Kilmacow coming from Murphy (2), Fionn Blanche, Anthony McNamara and Stephen Moore with Eoghan Hogan registering the score for Barrow Rangers.  This saw Kilmacow run out 9-point winners, suggesting a more comfortable win than it actually was.

Kilmacow: Kieran Dowling, Jack Maguire, Conor Dowling, Jake Harney, Kevin O’Mara, Liam Lacey, Sean Blanchfield, Ed Irish, Tom Butler (0-1), Keith Butler, Shane Gaule (0-1), Anthony McNamara (0-1), Donagh Meyler (0-1), Paddy O’Keeffe (0-5), Alan Murphy (1-11, 0-3f).  Subs: Colm Dolan, Tom Costello, Fionn Blanche (0-1), Stephen Moore (0-1), Cormac Suffin.

Barrow Rangers: Kevin Hennessy, Joseph Hughes, Jack McDonald, Shane McEvoy, Conor Brennan, Tom Brophy (0-1), James Kevin Hughes, Liam Hogan (0-1), Eugene Kealy (0-1), Eoghan Hogan (1-3), Conor Brennan, Conor Hanlon (0-4f), Conor Dermody (0-2), John Kearney (0-1), Eoin Ryan.  Subs: Paddy Hennessy, David O’Neill, Matthew Fitzpatrick.

Referee: Raymond Byrne

By John Power Fri 6th Aug

Related News

View All

Main Partners