Admin Login

Junior Board – J J Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling League Round 4 Barrow Rangers Vs Galmoy 

By Mary Morgan Thu 30th Sep

Junior Board – J J Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling League Round 4 Barrow Rangers Vs Galmoy 
Junior Board – J J Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling League Round 4 Barrow Rangers Vs Galmoy 

Barrow Rangers 2-17 Galmoy 0-16

A strong finish saw Barrow Rangers claim their first points in this year’s Junior League when they overcame Galmoy in Jenkinstown on Saturday last. The introduction of fresh legs had a large bearing on their closing dominance with substitutes Cathal English,Jimmy Kane and Martin Bambrick all creating an impression. It was midfielder Jack Kelly who stole the limelight however, as he roved all over the park throughout, picking off impressive points at will, as well as striking over six placed balls.

Galmoy actually began the game in impressive form with early points from Kevin Duggan, Brandan Phelan and a Conor Drennan free before Marc Drennan opened the Rangers’ scoring on six minutes. Jack Kelly’s first score came straight off the hurley after a searing solo run through the middle. He followed up with two pointed frees before Conor Drennan took a pass from Conor Grace and levelled the game, 0-4 each at the first waterbreak.

Straight after this break came the all important first half score. Billy Hanlon, in the centreforward position, caught a long Jason Holden puckout. His attempt for a point dropped short but was mishandled, leaving Timmy Brennan with the simple task of scraping the sliotar over the Galmoy goal line. Brennan added a point almost immediately with Jack Kelly pointing two from play. He also added a pointed free when a Galmoy defender was adjudged to have thrown the sliotar, to leave his side with 1-8 registered by half time. Galmoy responded well to the goal when Kevin Duggan pointed after a good passing move which involved Gearóid Phelan and Patrick Doyle. Billy Drennan struck his first score of the day in the 30th minute and followed up with a free which was well won by Oisín Phelan on the right wing. Conor Drennan closed the first half scoring leaving Barrow Rangers ahead 1-8 to 0-8.Galmoy might have had a few more points on board with a greater shot efficiency.

The second half was a peculiar affair with both sides enjoying large periods of dominance over their opponent. Once again, it was Galmoy who began the better. They went on to strike a total of seven points without a single reply in the third quarter. Billy Drennan up front, proved the target man as he tormented the Paulstown defence. He began by striking over two frees and then lost his marker to split the posts from play. Nigel Stanley,returning from injury, was introduced in the 34th minute and he, along with Oisín Phelan and Conor Drennan conjured up a

good passing move, which ended with Sean Phelan pointing off his left from the left wing .

Billy Drennan put over two frees before he added another from play and Galmoy now lead 0-15 to 1-8. In fairness, Barrow Rangers hadn’t gone away and indeed they did strike a total of eight wides in that third quarter while their opponents had just one shot wide of target in the same timespace.

As regularly happens of late, the waterbreak had a bearing on this game. It gave the Barrow Rangers side the chance to reset and with the timely introduction of Cathal English, they now began to probe at the Galmoy defence with greater success. Brendan Phelan fought manfully at full back here throughout.English though, pointed immediately upon introduction and a chop by a Galmoy defender gifted Jack Kelly with an easy free. Kelly then turned provider for another English point with Marc Drennan adding one from a distance of 65 metres. Five in succession from Kelly, two from frees, pushed the Paulstown side five points ahead by the 58th minute .It was now the turn of Galmoy to strike a number of wides and as they tried for goals rather than points, they found the going tough against a resolute defence who had withdrawn a player to cut the supply to the Galmoy forward line. Galmoy’s final score came when Conor Drennan pointed from a Frank Phelan delivery in the 59th minute. A simple line ball conceded by a Galmoy defender, saw Jack Kelly send a probing ball goalbound, where Cathal English put the finishing touch for the second goal of the day as his side took full points. Both sides will now await next weekend’s draw with baited breath.

Barrow Rangers:Jason Holden,Shane Flavin,Paddy Purcell,Killian Rudkins,Kevin Brennan,Ciarán Breen,Conor Dermody,Jack Kelly(0-12,0-6 frees),Marc Drennan(0-2),Kieran O Neill,Thomas Brennan(1-1),Tom Brennan,Billy Hanlon,Michael Doyle,Keith Flavin.

Subs:Martin Bambrick for Michael Doyle 39 mins, Cathal English(1-2) for Kieran O Neill 44 mins, Jimmy Kane for Thomas Brennan 49 mins

Galmoy:Brian Kelly, Colm Smith ,Brendan Phelan, Matt Delaney,Conor Grace,Ryan Murphy,Frank Phelan,Gearóid Phelan ,Oisín Phelan ,Kevin Duggan(0-2),Conor Drennan(Capt.)(0-4,0-1 free), Patrick Doyle, Billy Drennan(0-8,0-5 frees),Sean Phelan(0-1), Brandan Phelan(0-1).

Subs: Nigel Stanley for Patrick Doyle 34 mins.

Referee: Kieran Canavan (John Lockes)

By Mary Morgan Thu 30th Sep

Related News

View All

Main Partners