Admin Login

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Quarter Finals

By Mary Morgan Fri 29th Oct

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Quarter Finals
JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Quarter Finals

Click below to view match reports from Slieverue V Mullinavat and Emeralds V Tullogher Rosbercon

Slieverue Sail into the JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Championship Semi-final

Mullinavat was the venue for the JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Championship quarterfinal encounter between Piltown and Slieverue which took place on a very blustery and overcast Saturday afternoon, 23rd October last, in front of a sizeable crowd.

Slieverue, playing with a very strong wind in the first half, went on the attack right from throw-in, resulting in a fine point from Paul Rockett not 13 seconds in. This set the tone for Slieverue’s fast-paced, hard-hitting play throughout the game. Ronan Ryan levelled for Piltown with a well-taken free following a foul on Cian Kinsella. Goalkeeper Jamie O’Brien, using the wind to his advantage, landed the ball deep in the Piltown defence and centre-forward Eamon Phelan broke free and found the back of the net in the third minute. Not long after, Cillian Power pointed to put Slieverue ahead by four points with only five minutes gone on the clock. Another foul on Cian Kinsella and one on Billy O’Callaghan saw Ronan Ryan pull two back for Piltown, which was followed by a lovely, over the shoulder, point from Seamus Norris. However, momentum was with Slieverue and the combination of captain Eoin Kenny and the ever-dangerous Eamon Phelan saw Slieverue stretch their lead. A long range free from Jamie O’Brien saw Eamon Phelan run onto the breaking ball and score his second goal of the day. Slieverue closed out the half, leading 2-10 to 0-6. Piltown had an uphill battle going into the second half but they also had the strong wind to aid them. Would it be enough?

The second half started with a high ball sent in towards the Piltown goal and Sean Roche got a touch of the hurley to it, changing its trajectory and finding the back of the net. Things were not looking good for Piltown – they were now 13 points down but to their credit, they battled hard. Every time Piltown went on the attack and with every threat they posed, Slieverue’s indiscipline allowed them back into the game. Piltown capitalised on this and scored 12 points from frees in the second half (0-10 from the ever-accurate Ronan Ryan and 0-1 from captain Kevin Walsh). Added to this some fine points from Ronan Ryan and Martin Power, who came on for the injured Cian Kinsella, Piltown had outscored Slieverue 0-14 to 1-2 with only a minute or so to go in the second half. Deep into injury time, Piltown’s corner back, Darragh Walsh, made a run up the middle and picked up a sideline ball from Ian Long and popped it over the bar to level the sides and force the game to extra time. FT Piltown 0-21 Slieverue 3-12.

Slieverue started the first half of extra time with the strong wind and used it to their advantage with points coming from the experienced Paul Rockett, Eoin Kenny and Eamon Phelan. Piltown battled hard against the wind but only managed a point in the closing minute from wing back Robbie Tobin. In the second half of extra time, Piltown weren’t able to take advantage of the wind and with the addition of a number of subs and fresh legs, Slieverue edged out deserved winners. FT/ET Piltown 0-27 Slieverue 3-21.

Special mention to Piltown’s Robbie Culleton and Robbie Tobin and Slieverue’s Eoin Kenny and Niall Walsh for their efforts on the day – their work rate was commendable, they battled for every ball and came out of the ruck with the ball on any number of occasions.

Piltown Panel: James Norris, Oran Brophy, Niall Kinsella, Darragh Walsh (0-1), Robbie Tobin (0-2), Kevin Walsh (capt) (0-3f), Shane O’Dwyer, Aaron Kinsella, Ian Long, Robbie Culleton, Ronan Ryan (0-19, 0-16f), Declan Duggan, Cian Kinsella, Seamus Norris (0-1), Billy O’Callaghan. Subs: Martin Power (0-1), Kevin Brophy, John Kenny

Slieverue Panel: Jamie O’Brien, Ben Alcock, Reece Murphy, Adrian Rockett, Luke O’Donovan, Niall Walsh, Jack Frisby, William Halpin, Cillian Power (0-1), Eoin Kenny (capt) (0-5), Eamon Phelan (2-1), Craig Phelan (0-1), Paul Rockett (0-12, 0-10f), Sean Roche (1-0), Gary Walsh. Subs: Michael Hoynes, Paddy Dowling, Ian Ahearne (0-1), Donnacha Griffin

Referee: Gay Rafter


Tullogher’s Incredible Comeback


On a windy afternoon in Clara, Saturday 23rd October last, Tullogher Rosbercon took on Emeralds in the quarterfinal of the JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Championship. Seven minutes into the game, Cian O’Donoghue landed Tullogher their first score from a free. Moments later, Conor Martin put Emeralds on the score board which was following in quick succession by a great point from Tullogher’s captain, Conor Hennessy. Conor Martin was a constant danger in the Emeralds forward line and scored seven points from frees. Conor had great support throughout from Eoin Moriarty. At half time, Emeralds were on top 0-7 to 0-4.

Minutes into the second half, Emeralds Eoin Moriarty scored a great goal and Conor Martin kept the scoreboard ticking over with yet another point to his name. Emeralds were very much in control of the game with an eight point lead over Tullogher. With that, midfielder Walter Walsh charged through the Emeralds defence and gave Tullogher their first goal of the afternoon. Just like that, the deficit had been reduced to five points. With the second water break fast approaching, the score was Emeralds 1-11, Tullogher 1-6.

With time running out, Tullogher upped the ante and Walter Walsh took possession of the first ball after the water break and drove it home, giving Tullogher their second goal. Wing forward Coleman O’Sullivan popped over two lovely points to level the game. With only about two minutes remaining, Cian O’Donoghue and Conor Hennessy landed three more points for the Tullogher side.

The Tullogher backs were very strong with a man of the match performance from centre back Pat Hartley while Walter Walsh and Cian O’Donoghue dominated up front. While on the Emeralds front, Conor Martin was excellent on frees, Eoin Moriarty was superb scoring 1-1 from play and Patrick Doheny held up the backline. Full time score Tullogher Rosbercon 2-12, Emeralds 1-12.

Tullogher Rosbercon: Eoin Kennedy, John Hartley, Sean Murray, Niall O’Shea, Donnacha O’Connor, Pat Hartley, Kevin Hennessy, Stephen Lawlor, Walter Walsh (2-0), Coleman O’Sullivan (0-2), Conor Hennessy (0-1) (capt), Tarek O’Connor, Simon Kennedy, Richie Dollard, Cian O’Donoghue (0-9, 0-5f). Subs: Anthony O’Connor, Frank Murphy.

Emeralds: Alan Guilfoyle, Shane Norton, Damian Fitzgerald, Joseph Kavanagh, Patrick Doheny, Darragh Phelan, Brian Troy, Sean Burke, Padraig Phelan,, Eoin Moriarty (1-1), Conor Martin (capt) (0-9, 0-6f), Aidan Fogarty (0-1), Gearoid Troy, Thomas Moriarty, Liam Grant (0-1). Subs: Cathal Walsh, John Doyle, Francis Clohosey, Adam Barnaville.

Ref: Sean Cleere


By Mary Morgan Fri 29th Oct

Related News

View All

Main Partners